Web Service Wrapper/Proxy/Redirect

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by David05, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. David05

    David05 Guest

    Hello
    I have a 3rd party app that is a general client-service app, the client
    makes a SOAP post to a web service that is internal hosted and the web
    service then gives back some info.

    I need to wrap this web service in another web service, such as the client
    makes a call to http://internalserver/webservicename

    I want to add some verification of the user by just IP to this system but I
    can’t mess with the existing app so I would like to do this

    The URL it calls I can change so I want to change it to
    http://internalserver/verify then redirect to
    http://internalserver/webservicename

    But If I do it in ASP the app dies so I need to do it in a web services so
    the SOAP XML post gets resent to the new URL after i verify the user by IP.

    Can anyone lend some directions or point me in the right direction.
    I looked but cant really find any sample code that does this.

    The end gaol is to not do anything with the 3rd party web service but to
    just wrap it /proxy/ redirect then let it runn as needed.
    David05, Sep 10, 2008

  2. "David05" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > I have a 3rd party app that is a general client-service app, the client
    > makes a SOAP post to a web service that is internal hosted and the web
    > service then gives back some info.
    >
    > I need to wrap this web service in another web service, such as the client
    > makes a call to http://internalserver/webservicename
    >
    > I want to add some verification of the user by just IP to this system but
    > can’t mess with the existing app so I would like to do this
    >
    > The URL it calls I can change so I want to change it to
    > http://internalserver/verify then redirect to
    > http://internalserver/webservicename
    >
    > But If I do it in ASP the app dies so I need to do it in a web services so
    > the SOAP XML post gets resent to the new URL after i verify the user by
    > IP.
    >
    > Can anyone lend some directions or point me in the right direction.
    > I looked but cant really find any sample code that does this.
    >
    > The end gaol is to not do anything with the 3rd party web service but to
    > just wrap it /proxy/ redirect then let it runn as needed.

    Why not just make your proxy service support the same interface as the real
    one, then you can add a web reference to the real one in the proxy service.
    All it would do is receive the parameters, validate the user, then make the
    corresponding call to the real service.

    OTOH, I hope you're aware that IP addresses are not reliable as
    identification in general. But perhaps this service only runs inside the
    Corporate Intranet and your IT people never change IP addresses or implement
    network hardware that does?

    John Saunders, Sep 10, 2008

  3. David05

    David05 Guest

    "John Saunders" wrote:

    > "David05" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello
    > > I have a 3rd party app that is a general client-service app, the client
    > > makes a SOAP post to a web service that is internal hosted and the web
    > > service then gives back some info.
    > >
    > > I need to wrap this web service in another web service, such as the client
    > > makes a call to http://internalserver/webservicename
    > >
    > > I want to add some verification of the user by just IP to this system but
    > > can’t mess with the existing app so I would like to do this
    > >
    > > The URL it calls I can change so I want to change it to
    > > http://internalserver/verify then redirect to
    > > http://internalserver/webservicename
    > >
    > > But If I do it in ASP the app dies so I need to do it in a web services so
    > > the SOAP XML post gets resent to the new URL after i verify the user by
    > > IP.
    > >
    > > Can anyone lend some directions or point me in the right direction.
    > > I looked but cant really find any sample code that does this.
    > >
    > > The end gaol is to not do anything with the 3rd party web service but to
    > > just wrap it /proxy/ redirect then let it runn as needed.
    > >

    > Why not just make your proxy service support the same interface as the real
    > one, then you can add a web reference to the real one in the proxy service.
    > All it would do is receive the parameters, validate the user, then make the
    > corresponding call to the real service.
    >
    > OTOH, I hope you're aware that IP addresses are not reliable as
    > identification in general. But perhaps this service only runs inside the
    > Corporate Intranet and your IT people never change IP addresses or implement
    > network hardware that does?
    >
    > --
    > John Saunders | MVP - Connected System Developer

    Hello John,
    The 3rd party app/web service I dont have alot of docs on it so with the
    "web reference' how can I check that I am passing all the values as the
    "normal" interface.
    Is there a utility that I can run to grab all the interface properties, ect.
    David05, Sep 10, 2008