    application from the server side. so if there are 10 clients each will
    have one web service ( total 10 web services). so what happens when
    all 10 clients make a call to web service at the same time?
    gdv, Oct 14, 2007

  2. gdv wrote:
    > I am trying to understand web services.
    > what i understood so far is that web service is nothing but like a
    > java program sitting and running on the client side to access
    > application from the server side. so if there are 10 clients each will
    > have one web service ( total 10 web services). so what happens when
    > all 10 clients make a call to web service at the same time?

    A web service is a service provided by a server to clients using
    web technology (typical SOAP over HTTP).

    In theory a server could process the request from each client
    sequentially.

    Web services in the Java world are usually hosted in a servlet
    container and those are usually multi threaded and capable
    of serving multiple requests in parallel.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Oct 14, 2007

  3. gdv

    gdv Guest

    Thanks Arne.
    just want to make sure that server's servlet containers (like tomcat)
    contains the code for web service.
    so server ( service provider ) will have application code and web
    service code. How do client find out where is the service and how to
    make a connection with the provider's web service?

    gdv, Oct 14, 2007
  4. gdv

    Lew Guest

    gdv wrote:
    > Thanks Arne.

    Please do not top-post. Read the "mini-FAQ" message in this newsgroup, and
    the articles to which it links.

    > just want to make sure that server's servlet containers (like tomcat)
    > contains the code for web service.

    It will if you write that code and deploy it to the app server.

    > so server ( service provider ) will have application code and web
    > service code. How do client find out where is the service and how to
    > make a connection with the provider's web service?

    Google for "UDDI" and "WSDL". One way or another the client will need to
    discover a URL, and send a message that conforms to the service's requirements.

    Sun has material on writing web services in its tutorials. Java SE 6 and EE 5
    have enhanced support for web-service development.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Oct 14, 2007
  5. gdv wrote:
    > just want to make sure that server's servlet containers (like tomcat)
    > contains the code for web service.

    If somebody deployed it then it will be there.

    > so server ( service provider ) will have application code and web
    > service code. How do client find out where is the service and how to
    > make a connection with the provider's web service?

    The web service client connects to a specific URL.

    It can be handcoded or it can use a stub generated from
    the WSDL.

    Arne
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Oct 14, 2007