Web site icon in address bar

Buddy Ackerman

How do you get a custom icon in address bar of the user's web browser? MSN, Excite, Yahoo and other display an icon in
the address bar and when you add them to your link bar. How do I get my site to do that and does the graphic need to be
a specific size or will the browser automatically scale it to fit?

Buddy Ackerman

Steve said:

Is there another way to do this? I found out that if you put an icon named favicon.ico in your website root then some
browsers will display it. This doesn't appear to work in IE though. I also tried to do what the link you provided says
to do and it worked when I loaded my site's home page but after I logged in and went to another page it no longer
displays (even though I checked the source and it shows that the <link> tag is there).

Mark Fitzpatrick

The information is correct, it's actually the browser that ruins it.

IE only loads favicon information when you bookmark a web site. Then, when
you clean out the termporary internet files it nukes the icon again.

FireFox and Mozilla will list the favicons for sites whether they are
bookmarked or not (and FireFox even changes the icon in front of a bookmark
to match the site's favicon)

There is no way to get it to always appear in IE though except as already
mentioned.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Bob Lehmann

Being Old Technology, you must first bookmark the site to allow IE to
display the favicon.

Bob Lehmann