Web site with numerous images

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Carl Gilbert, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Carl Gilbert

    Carl Gilbert Guest

    Hi

    I am developing a site that has 5 or 6 thumbnail pages each with 28 image on
    each. Each thumb nail has a matching larger image.

    So 5/6 groups of 28.

    When the user clicks on one of the images, I want to load up another page
    showing the selected full size image. I then want to provide the ability to
    move back and forward through the collection of images.

    Lets say I give each group a number and each image in that group its own
    number so I have something like:

    [group]
    [images]

    01
    01, 02, 03, 04, .... 28
    02
    01, 02, 03, 04, .... 28

    Is there anyway to have a page for each group and depending on the image
    clicked, the page loads the relevant image.

    Or even better, have one page that get told which group and which image from
    that group to display and also changes bits of text like the title of the
    page to detail the group. And provide logic to allow the user to navigate
    the collection and detect when the start or the end of the group has been
    reached, therefore not providing a next or previous button.

    I have the code done to render the page with the thumbnails but would
    appreciate some help on the logic to avoid making over a hundred pages to
    cater for each image.

    And before anybody asks, this has nothing to do with porn!

    Kind regards, Carl Gilbert
    Carl Gilbert, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Carl Gilbert

    neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, Carl Gilbert quothed:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am developing a site that has 5 or 6 thumbnail pages each with 28 image on
    > each. Each thumb nail has a matching larger image.
    >
    > So 5/6 groups of 28.
    >
    > When the user clicks on one of the images, I want to load up another page
    > showing the selected full size image. I then want to provide the ability to
    > move back and forward through the collection of images.
    >
    > Lets say I give each group a number and each image in that group its own
    > number so I have something like:
    >
    > [group]
    > [images]
    >
    > 01
    > 01, 02, 03, 04, .... 28
    > 02
    > 01, 02, 03, 04, .... 28
    >
    > Is there anyway to have a page for each group and depending on the image
    > clicked, the page loads the relevant image.
    >
    > Or even better, have one page that get told which group and which image from
    > that group to display and also changes bits of text like the title of the
    > page to detail the group. And provide logic to allow the user to navigate
    > the collection and detect when the start or the end of the group has been
    > reached, therefore not providing a next or previous button.
    >
    > I have the code done to render the page with the thumbnails but would
    > appreciate some help on the logic to avoid making over a hundred pages to
    > cater for each image.

    Yeah, it's possible. I suggest using PHP with javascript backup for
    local use. All my site's images use 1 page for display which is loaded
    via the url. Check:

    http://www.neredbojias.com/

    -especially the "uranus" page.

    Awww.

    --
    Neredbojias
    neredbojias, Nov 19, 2004

  3. "Carl Gilbert" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am developing a site that has 5 or 6 thumbnail pages each with 28 image
    > on each. Each thumb nail has a matching larger image.
    >
    > So 5/6 groups of 28.
    >
    > When the user clicks on one of the images, I want to load up another page
    > showing the selected full size image. I then want to provide the ability
    > to move back and forward through the collection of images.
    >
    > Lets say I give each group a number and each image in that group its own
    > number so I have something like:
    >
    > [group]
    > [images]
    >
    > 01
    > 01, 02, 03, 04, .... 28
    > 02
    > 01, 02, 03, 04, .... 28
    >
    > Is there anyway to have a page for each group and depending on the image
    > clicked, the page loads the relevant image.

    There are many ways to do this. Regrdless of which you choose, it will
    involve
    some sort of scripting language. I do this sort of thing all the time for
    my job,
    but usually the content needs to be searchable as well.

    This is easily handled by somthing like PERL, PHP, Python, etc.

    news.west.cox.net, Nov 21, 2004