WebForms X MVC? Why MVC? Give me reasons to migrate my web apps to it please. Pros x Cons! Thanks!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paulo, Dec 2, 2008.

  1. Paulo

    Paulo Guest

    Paulo, Dec 2, 2008

  2. The main push for MVC is it forces separation of concerns. If you already
    properly tier you apps and treat ASPX as a UI only, you probably will see
    little benefit from MVC. But that would also make you one of a small
    percentage of devs who properly separate out concerns.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Blog:

    | Think Outside the Box! |
    "Paulo" <> wrote in message

    Gregory A. Beamer, Dec 2, 2008

  3. Paulo

    bruce barker Guest

    Re: WebForms X MVC? Why MVC? Give me reasons to migrate my web appsto it please. Pros x Cons! Thanks!

    MVC is a advanced pattern. It separates the UI from the business logic.
    If you do not use or study design patterns then its proably not for you.

    For those that use design patterns and have used the MVC pattern in the
    past (its fairly old pattern), it nice that MS is supplying a tested
    framework.

    Reasons to use it:

    1) want logic separation.
    2) use Test First Design (the MVC framework is designed for this)
    3) want to use lots of javascript and ajax
    4) want a REST interface to your site
    5) want a simpler page life cycle
    6) have a separate designer team that edits the pages

    Reasons not to use it.

    1) unfamiliar with design patterns - may be to big to bite off
    2) want to use the visual studio designer for the site
    3) unfamiliar with native html form / server processing
    4) like the webforms event model
    5) don't want to worry about state management.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Dec 3, 2008
  4. Good question. I haven't used it yet, and I read a lot of posts by users
    having a lot of difficulty with it. Most people will say its a much cleaner,
    object - oriented way to separate the Model, View and Presentation in an
    application, and they'd be right. But if you're happy with ASP.NET as is
    (and I am) then it may not be necessary to go through the learning curve and
    inevitable pain of mastering it.
    Peter
    "Paulo" <> wrote in message

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Dec 4, 2008