Webmatrix advice vs VS.net

Guest

Somewhat. But it may be easier for you to understand Web Matrix First. Its
like using Notepad for your first HTML page and not using something like
dreamweaver. If you are forced to use Web Matrix instead of VS.NET then you
will learn what vs.net does under the covers for your. With Web Matrix, you
do everything yourslef.

Guest

Thanks, just going through the tutorials - soooooooo easy to use...I think I
am a .NET convert already!

Quick question: I see you can choose to use the default Web Matrix 'Stat'
browser engine to view the aspx pages OR use the traditional IIS.....

Am I to assume I no longer need IIS to run aspx, vbnet or c# pages...it
seems way more user friendly than having to configure IIS and use the
compulsory
INETPUB directory for staging files.

Thanks
Jason

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

Jason,

Web Matrix is OK.
Here's a few things to keep in mind, though.

1. The built-in web server ( Cassini )
only works locally for test purposes.

2. Web Matrix can't compile assemblies.
You can only create code/aspx pages with it.

That puts a cramp on ASP.NET development,
if you want to get max performance ( with assemblies ).

3. Web Matrix is a deprecated application.
It will work only with ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1, not with 2.0

When ASP.NET 2.0 is released, you'd better
have something like Visual Web Developer (VWD ).
if you can't use, or won't use, Visual Studio.

VWD will be available for close to pennies.

You can download a free test trial at:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

See the readme, first:
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/readme/default.aspx

Good luck!

Juan T. Llibre
===========

Guest

Wow, thanks!

Ok, I will follow your advice and switch to the VWD trial version to get me
back on track again...

ps: How far can one get with just using ASP.net/aspx files...I have found
code examples via google which illustrate such things as leveraging
flash movies with basic asp pages...would examples such as this require
'assemblies'...

I realise this is probably a very newbie question but I don't like the sound
of 'assembiles' guess I better used to it!

Thanks
Jason

Juan T. Llibre [MVP]

re:
ps: How far can one get with just using ASP.net/aspx files

You can get quite far, actually.

You can write custom classes, in .cs (C#) or .vb files,
and have them execute, but the performance and/or
ease of maintenance will not be there.

Over and above that, if you can't compile your custom
classes, you'd have to put your source code on the server.

That's not too good, if you want to protect your code.

The best way to deploy applications is to compile
assemblies, and place *them*, along with your .aspx,
..ascx, and .asmx files on the server.

That way, you get to keep private your original code.

Good luck!

Juan T. Llibre