Website deployment vs2008

james page

Hi all - a general 'best practice' query:

I have a asp.net 3.5 website using Ajax, sql2005 and vb.net designed in
vs2008 running on iis6. All runs happily on the testing server.
if I copy all of the files (everything) from the testing to production
server again all works fine.

If I publish the site using the built in publish feature it gives me the
option of 'only files needed to run this application'. If I select that,
the site won't run.

I was under the impression that publishing the website using the above
method compiles all the code-behind and other code files into a dll file
- or have I got it wrong?

What is the best method of deploying a finished website?

Tutorials, links, advice all very welcome.

Thanks

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello James,

Deployed "'only files needed to run this application'" without any problems.
Did u try to deploy to specific location and check which files were created
there?!

What exactly doesnt work?

---
WBR,

JP> Hi all - a general 'best practice' query:
JP>
JP> I have a asp.net 3.5 website using Ajax, sql2005 and vb.net designed
JP> in
JP> vs2008 running on iis6. All runs happily on the testing server.
JP> if I copy all of the files (everything) from the testing to
JP> production
JP> server again all works fine.
JP> If I publish the site using the built in publish feature it gives me
JP> the option of 'only files needed to run this application'. If I
JP> select that, the site won't run.
JP>
JP> I was under the impression that publishing the website using the
JP> above method compiles all the code-behind and other code files into
JP> a dll file - or have I got it wrong?
JP>
JP> What is the best method of deploying a finished website?
JP>
JP> Tutorials, links, advice all very welcome.
JP>
JP> Thanks

james page

Deployed to folder which iis sees ok
Files created: all aspx, ascx, master, images, css and in the bin folder
myproject.dll, .pdb & .xml, ajaxControlToolkit.dll but no .vb files

Specific error - cannot find masterpage.vb file

Omen

I also have this issue.

If, like VS2005, i would have expected the Web Application to compile all
the code into a single DLL file. This does seem to happen and the DLL is
there in the Bin folder but i get the same parser error when attempting to
open the website after deploying to a web server. I wonder if it is also
just a cooincidence that it is a master page code file that is being searched
for. My master page file is in a sub folder if this makes any difference??

Why is the compiler looking for a vb file when it should be comiled into the
dll?

If i publish ALL project files everything works fine but i dont want to
publish my .vb files to a live server.

I have had to do this temporarily to get the site up and running but would
like to find out why this is happening.

TIA

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Is it a website or web application? In the latter case you could forget to
include something in the solution.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

james page said:
Hi all - a general 'best practice' query:

I have a asp.net 3.5 website using Ajax, sql2005 and vb.net designed in
vs2008 running on iis6. All runs happily on the testing server.
if I copy all of the files (everything) from the testing to production
server again all works fine.

If I publish the site using the built in publish feature it gives me the
option of 'only files needed to run this application'. If I select that,
the site won't run.

I was under the impression that publishing the website using the above
method compiles all the code-behind and other code files into a dll file -
or have I got it wrong?

What is the best method of deploying a finished website?

Tutorials, links, advice all very welcome.

Thanks

Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Have you found the solution

Hi,

I face the same problem. Have you found the solution?