Website voice communication with Javascript??

Obbligato

Wellll...I'm hoping this is on topic, because if it is, it means there
is a Javascript solution to what I want to do. At the very least it
seems like I need *some* sort of client side script. What I want to do
us allow multiple users in a chat room to talk to each other,
regardless of what browsers or OS or whatever they are using. I also
want to be able to integrate this chat script, whatever it is, to my
own website, so that the controls can be accessed from within the chat
room pages, and the members of the chat room can be automatically
connected to each other.

For various reasons I think that a lag of up to a few seconds between
the time someone speaks and the time that the others hear them is
acceptable. Given that, it seems that something relatively primitive
might work. Is there any open source stuff out there that does this?
If not, I would love to try my hand at writing the script myself, if
someone could just point me to tuturials, books, websites, gurus,
whatever, where info on how to do this might be found. I know PHP and
HTML fairly well, but would be getting into anything else from
scratch.

PS: I know that you can do voice conferencing with Netmeeting, Yahoo's
voice chat feature, Roger Wilco, and all that. The trouble with those
is that they require everyone to be using the same software, or the
same OS, or both.

David Dorward

Obbligato said:
Wellll...I'm hoping this is on topic, because if it is, it means there
is a Javascript solution to what I want to do. At the very least it
seems like I need *some* sort of client side script. What I want to do
us allow multiple users in a chat room to talk to each other,

I'm almost entirely certain that JavaScript isn't going to let you do this.
You are going to need something capable of reading from the microphone
(assuming the user has one), which I suspect means a Java Applet or Flash.