Webstart JNLP from CD

Kevin Munro

Hi, I've got a java application that I want to deploy from CD.

I'm looking at Web Start and have modified a JNLP to start it up.

The extract of this file is:

<jnlp
spec="1.0+"
codebase="file://d:\deploy"
href="finance.jnlp">

etc...

but I get an exception:

Unable to load resource: file://d/deploy/finance.jnlp

I'm relatively new to this, what am I doing wrong?

All the posts I can find talk about downloading from a web site, but I
want to get all my jar's and runtimes etc on CD. Would welcome the
pro's and con's of this too :)

Thanx!

Mark Thornton

Kevin said:
Hi, I've got a java application that I want to deploy from CD.

I'm looking at Web Start and have modified a JNLP to start it up.

The extract of this file is:

<jnlp
spec="1.0+"
codebase="file://d:\deploy"
href="finance.jnlp">

etc...

but I get an exception:

Unable to load resource: file://d/deploy/finance.jnlp

I'm relatively new to this, what am I doing wrong?

All the posts I can find talk about downloading from a web site, but I
want to get all my jar's and runtimes etc on CD. Would welcome the
pro's and con's of this too :)

Thanx!

Are you using 1.4.2? I don't think this is expected to work with any
earlier version of WebStart. I haven't tried it myself yet --- it is on
my list of things to do.

Mark Thornton

Dale King

Kevin Munro said:
Hi, I've got a java application that I want to deploy from CD.

I'm looking at Web Start and have modified a JNLP to start it up.

The extract of this file is:

<jnlp
spec="1.0+"
codebase="file://d:\deploy"
href="finance.jnlp">

etc...

but I get an exception:

Unable to load resource: file://d/deploy/finance.jnlp

I'm relatively new to this, what am I doing wrong?

All the posts I can find talk about downloading from a web site, but I
want to get all my jar's and runtimes etc on CD. Would welcome the
pro's and con's of this too :)

In order to use a file URL with a drive letter I believe you need 3 slashes
after the file:

Another alternative is to remove the codebase attribute. Tthat will make it
portable to different drive letters and will mean that the app does not get
put into the list of apps in the webstart tool.

You might also want to look at the options discussed here:

http://www.vamphq.com/jwsfaq.html#cdinstaller

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

codebase="file://d:\deploy"

The text following the double slashes is supposed to be the server
name. Also, you make the assumption that the user's CD drive is D:,
which is common but no guarantee.

Since the JNLP file is on the same drive as the install base, why not
just use "/deploy" as codebase?

Roedy Green

The text following the double slashes is supposed to be the server
name. Also, you make the assumption that the user's CD drive is D:,
which is common but no guarantee.

I set the CD to R: for read-only and W: for read-write on my customer
machines. This allows bat files and telephone instructions to be
uniform.