Weird double blink problem during fade in

manu3d

Hi everybody!

I'm trying to put the icing on a cake
but I'm having one final problem.

The cake is actually a fadeIn function
that takes in input an element id(in my
case a <DIV> block) and a maximum opacity
parameter.

The element fades in correctly and reaches
the desired opacity. So we could say that
the function is doing the right thing.

Unfortunately, from a purely visual point
of view, -IF- the maximum opacity is set
to 1.0, there seem to be a brief "double flash"
just before the full opacity is reached.

That is: if I print out the values of the
opacity for each iteration of the function
I get what I would expect:

0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0

but the following sequence of values
better describes -what I see-:

0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, 0.9, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0

Notice that the length of the "0.0" flash
remains the same even if I increase the
milliseconds in the setTimeout() call.

It almost looks like some kind of browser
rendering problem rather than a scripting
issue.

Can anybody confirm my hypothesis?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely,

Manu

P.S. This is the code of the fade-in function I wrote,
together with its sibling fade-out, for completeness
and for anybody to use (although it's only Mozilla
compatible at this point...)

----
var fadeInTO, fadeOutTO;

function layer_fadeIn(layerName, maxOpacity)
{
clearTimeout(fadeOutTO);
myOpacity = document.getElementById(layerName).style.opacity;

if(myOpacity < maxOpacity)
{
myOpacity -= -0.10;
document.getElementById(layerName).style.opacity=myOpacity;

var cmd2run="layer_fadeIn('"+layerName+"',"+maxOpacity+")";
var fadeSpeed=500;
fadeInTO=setTimeout(cmd2run,fadeSpeed);

function layer_fadeOut(layerName, maxTransparency)
{
clearTimeout(fadeInTO);
myOpacity = document.getElementById(layerName).style.opacity;

if(myOpacity > maxTransparency)
{
myOpacity -= 0.10;
document.getElementById(layerName).style.opacity=myOpacity;

var
cmd2run="layer_fadeOut('"+layerName+"',"+maxTransparency+")";
var fadeSpeed=10;
fadeOutTO=setTimeout(cmd2run,fadeSpeed);

manu3d

CJL, thanks for your reply. I tried the suggested method but
it didn't work. -However- it got me thinking, and I think it
helped me to find a bit of a "design" flaw in my fade-in
routine (which is why the method you pointed me to didn't work).
I therefore rewrote it and it's now working perfectly fine if we
close an eye on the fact that it reaches an opacity of "only"
0.999999. =)

This is the rewritten routine, for anybody to use:

var fadeInTO, fadeOutTO;

function layer_fadeIn(layerName,maxOpacity)
{
clearTimeout(fadeOutTO);
myOpacity = document.getElementById(layerName).style.opacity;

if(myOpacity < maxOpacity)
myOpacity -= -0.10;
else
return;

if(myOpacity < 1.0)
{
document.getElementById(layerName).style.opacity=myOpacity;
}
else
{
document.getElementById(layerName).style.opacity=0.999999;
return;
}

var cmd2run="layer_fadeIn('"+layerName+"',"+maxOpacity+")";
var fadeSpeed=10;
fadeInTO=setTimeout(cmd2run,fadeSpeed);

}

CJL, thanks for your help!