What are .axd files???

Bob Rock

Hello,

lately I've been reading about modules and handlers and I noticed a set of
files with the .axd extension. So, what are they???
The idea I made of them is that .axd is simply an extension registered to
the asp.net isapi filter inside IIS and this allows anyone to, via an
appropriate <httpModule> tag, associate any fantsy .axd file to a given
HttpModule. So I imagine that the different .axd files (WebResource.axd,
Trace.axd, etc.) really don't exist physically but are probably spit out by
some HttpHandler.

Could someone confirm my ideas??? Thanks.

Bob Rock

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

You are correct. The .axd files are built into a handler and the ones you
mention are in a handler that ships with the framework (and may even exist
inside of the main library for web apps - have not checked).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!