    I want to be able to change my name from "Wannabe" to "Knowitall". Can some
    of you smart people suggest places where I can go to get real good advanced
    ASP.Net or C# training?

    Wannabe, Apr 3, 2008

  2. Wannabe

    Scott M. Guest

    I own a technology training firm in the Northeast
    (http://TechTrainSolutions.com) and can tell you that there are many factors
    that go into a really good learning experience.

    You should start by telling us where you are and how much your training
    budget is.

    -Scott

    Scott M., Apr 3, 2008

  3. What are you trying to do or learn, as that has to form the basis of
    identifying a course type and thus a provider

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Apr 3, 2008
  4. Wannabe

    Wannabe Guest

    I am looking to bridge the gap from being pretty good, which I think I am, to
    being real good. I'd like a course, that will present many advanced concepts
    that I can take with me and build on that knowledge.

    Here are two such courses that I am wondering if they may do that.

    http://www.trainup.com/Information-...amming-for-Experienced-C-Programmers-9457.htm

    http://www.trainup.com/Information-...rogramming-with-the-NET-20-Framework-9462.htm

    Wannabe, Apr 4, 2008
  5. I dont think you can learn to be real good from a course, either you can
    program or you can't and a course will enahnce your exisitng skills or teach
    you new approaches. The difference between a good programmer and a real
    good one tend to be experience based ie. in how wide your skills are in
    interconnected areas that a project might require, asp.net developers these
    days require knowledge of the framework, controls, themses, skins and how to
    query a database. A more experienced developer (perhaps a real good one)
    will have all the skills of a typical programmer plus Ajax, WWF, Databases,
    Silverlight, Streaming and Webservices for example.

    You need to decide what exactly it is that you feel you are missing from
    your technical arsenal and focus on that. I'll give you an example, I'm a
    fairly good all rounder and a very deep MOSS architect - but I need to learn
    more about Windows Workflow Foundation to understand how hard it will be for
    a developer to take on workflow development within Sharepoint. If I was
    looking for a course, I might look at that. Hence training can normally be
    task specific in relation to what your trying to achieve. So will an
    advanced course on C++ give you the next step in building your own technical
    arsenal.

    John Timney \(MVP\), Apr 4, 2008
  6. Wannabe

    Wannabe Guest

    If you last sentence was a question, then, I think it will help. The way I
    look at is, there are technologies that I do not use because I do not know
    they are available. And that is what I would think an advanced course in C#
    would help me.

    Good insight though...thanks a lot.

    Wannabe, Apr 4, 2008
  7. Wannabe

    Scott M. Guest

    > I would agree with John Timney in that, IMO, there is no such thing as an
    > "advanced course" in programming - all they can do is teach you the
    > syntax, after which it's down to you to gain experience in the real world.

    I'm not sure that's what John said and I'd take great exception to the
    statement overall. While I certainly agree that you'll never become a guru
    from taking a course. If done right, you'll get a lot more out of a class
    than just syntax. The best instructors are those that also use the
    technology they teach and thus, have experience that can't be gained from
    just reading a manual. Those instructors will bring that experience into
    the classroom and convey the "why" as much as the "how". And, honestly,
    haven't we all found ourselves in situations where we get something to work,
    but don't necessarially understand "why" it works"?

    -Scott
    http://TechTrainSolutions.com

    Scott M., Apr 5, 2008