what are the limitations of a driver in JDBC?

corejavagroups

Hi!
suppose we have a setup where 4 systems are involved ,in which
server is running x platform and all other 3 are running other cross
platforms.
Suppose i want to access the data from server from all the 3 servers at
various stages...in JAVA JDBC code....suppose i have used oracle
driver...........what are the limitaiuons of the driver.....?
assume that we are running in other 3 systems SQL server,MY SQL,INGRES
database servers and in server we have ORACLE....
then can u explain the limitations?
thanks....

Roedy Green

suppose we have a setup where 4 systems are involved ,in which
server is running x platform and all other 3 are running other cross
platforms.
Suppose i want to access the data from server from all the 3 servers at
various stages...in JAVA JDBC code....suppose i have used oracle
driver...........what are the limitaiuons of the driver.....?
assume that we are running in other 3 systems SQL server,MY SQL,INGRES
database servers and in server we have ORACLE....
then can u explain the limitations?

Assuming you give an app direct access to all four database, over the
LAN, it will have to open all four JDBC connections, each one with a
different JDBC driver manager.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html

Another approach is to use a layer that sits atop JDBC and tries to
hide the details of which tables live in which databases. I don't know
if Hibernate for example can do that. Obviously you can do joins
across tables not in the same database, at least not efficiently.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/hibernate.html

You might use a POD to intervene.
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/pod.html

EJBs might even have some table-driven isolating abilities. I have
not explored them. At least with EJB, clients of a given bean are
quite isolated from any of the SQL/JDBC.

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ejb.html