What CSS styles are not inherited for tables in quirks mode?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kornél Pál, May 8, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    Usually I use standards compliant mode but most search engines are
    adding code before DOCTYPE for cached results and I want to present a
    reliable layout there as well.

    Most quirks mode differences are minor but I really don't like that
    tables don't inherint a bunch of CSS styles.

    I have created two rule sets:

    This works with browsers other than Internet Explorer (except font-size:
    1em):

    table, caption {
    color: inherit;
    font-size: 1em;
    font-style: inherit;
    font-variant: inherit;
    font-weight: inherit;
    line-height: inherit;
    text-decoration: inherit;
    white-space: inherit;
    }

    Internet Exlorer (pre-IE8) has no support for inherit, so I use this
    that does the same thing but persumably uses more CPU:

    table, caption {
    color: expression(this.parentNode.currentStyle.color);
    font-style: expression(this.parentNode.currentStyle.fontStyle);
    font-variant: expression(this.parentNode.currentStyle.fontVariant);
    font-weight: expression(this.parentNode.currentStyle.fontWeight);
    line-height: expression(this.parentNode.currentStyle.lineHeight);
    text-decoration: expression(this.parentNode.currentStyle.textDecoration);
    white-space: expression(this.parentNode.currentStyle.whiteSpace);
    }

    For open source browsers I was able to analyse their quirks mode style
    sheets as a result I came up with the above solution.

    Internet Explorer is closed source so I would like to ask you to provide
    me with an exact list on what CSS properties are not inherited (that
    were otherwise inherited according to CSS specifications) for tables and
    captions in quirks mode.

    Thank you very much.

    Best regards,
    Kornél Pál
    Kornél Pál, May 8, 2009

  2. Hi Kornél Pál,

    >Internet Explorer is closed source so I would like to ask you to provide
    >me with an exact list on what CSS properties are not inherited (that
    >were otherwise inherited according to CSS specifications) for tables and
    >captions in quirks mode.

    I have no a handy list but you can look it up on MSDN:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms530759(VS.85).aspx

    For each property it will tell you whether it's inherited. If you have
    additional questions please feel free to ask.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    Allen Chen [MSFT], May 11, 2009

  3. Kornél Pál

    Kornél Pál Guest

    Hi,

    My problem is that CSS reference pages hardly mention quirks (backwards
    compatible) mode behavior differences; they just docuement the standards
    compliant mode.

    But later I found a list of properties that are not inherited for tables
    in quirks mode (TABLE Elements):

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250395(VS.85).aspx

    Kornél Pál

    Kornél Pál, May 11, 2009