    Thanks

    ETienne
    , Jul 28, 2006

  2. Chris Uppal Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a small question. What kind of disclaimer should I write in my
    > software starter lines when this software uses some Jakarta librairies
    > (Log4J, Common-Lib, etc)...?

    The Apache License FAQ might help:

    http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html

    as well as reading the license itself (but, of course, you've already done that
    ;-)

    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

    > "*** This software use Log4J librairies under the GPL licence ***" or
    > something like that...

    I'm not sure about GPL, as far as I know the Apache software doesn't use the
    GPL (just as well or I, for one, wouldn't touch it). See:

    http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

    FWIW, I don't read the license as requiring any formal acknowledgement beyond
    including a copy of the license (assuming you are merely redistributing
    unmodified stuff). You might look to see what Sun do, since they include
    Apache software in the JRE (e.g. com/sun/org/apache/* in rt.jar). NB: I am not
    a lawyer.

    Personally, I /would/ include an acknowledgement -- as a matter of professional
    pride as well as courtesy. But how it was phrased and what information it
    included (e.g. web links), would depend on where it appeared (there might be
    more than one place), and who I expected to be reading it.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Jul 28, 2006

  3. Oliver Wong Guest

    "Chris Uppal" <-THIS.org> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have a small question. What kind of disclaimer should I write in my
    >> software starter lines when this software uses some Jakarta librairies
    >> (Log4J, Common-Lib, etc)...?

    > The Apache License FAQ might help:
    >
    > http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html
    >
    > as well as reading the license itself (but, of course, you've already done
    > that
    > ;-)
    >
    > http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
    >
    >> "*** This software use Log4J librairies under the GPL licence ***" or
    >> something like that...

    > I'm not sure about GPL, as far as I know the Apache software doesn't use
    > the
    > GPL (just as well or I, for one, wouldn't touch it). See:
    >
    > http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

    With the GPL, you're expected to print the license to console or
    something like that. Yes, I've actually read the license.

    *Tries to find the exact wording* Here it is:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
    <quote>
    If the program is interactive, make it output a short notice like this
    when it starts in an interactive mode:

    Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) year name of author
    Gnomovision comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show
    w'.
    under certain conditions; type `show c' for details.

    The hypothetical commands `show w' and `show c' should show the appropriate
    parts of the General Public License. Of course, the commands you use may
    be called something other than `show w' and `show c'; they could even be
    mouse-clicks or menu items--whatever suits your program.
    </quote>

    In my GPL'ed Java GUI apps, what I usually do is make the above text
    output to the console (along with the debugging information), where it
    doesn't intrude on the "casual" user, but is easily accessible and visible
    to those parties who are interested.

    - Oliver
    Oliver Wong, Jul 28, 2006