What do I look for in a shared Python host?

walterbyrd

For example:

- If I want to use Django, I need either FastCGI or Apache
2.X/mod_python 3.x

- if I want to use TurboGears, I need Python 2.4: not 2.3 and not 2.5

- I have just learned that some hosters have T&Cs that forbid long
running processes. I am not sure exactly what that means. Except I
understand it can be a problem if using Cherrypy/TurboGears

- I have read that mod_python before 3.x can be difficult

What other "gotchas" would I look for?

Fuzzyman

walterbyrd said:
For example:

- If I want to use Django, I need either FastCGI or Apache
2.X/mod_python 3.x

- if I want to use TurboGears, I need Python 2.4: not 2.3 and not 2.5

- I have just learned that some hosters have T&Cs that forbid long
running processes. I am not sure exactly what that means. Except I
understand it can be a problem if using Cherrypy/TurboGears

- I have read that mod_python before 3.x can be difficult

What other "gotchas" would I look for?

The best host for Python (including Django and Turbogears), try
webfaction. They used to be known as Python-hosting.com and offer great
support for Python.

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/index2.shtml

Chas Emerick

Hi,
is there any reason for you wanting to use a shared host? Just
asking..
Maybe you could use a VPS as this is not too expensive these days.
Of course, it would require more work to set things up. But it's
not too hard... (eg using apt-get,webmin,some basic Linux skills
using the command line)
regards,
Dimitri
(I use a VPS at rimuhostig ($20/month), but there are many, many more)

I would absolutely second rimuhosting. We have a bunch of VPS' and
dedicated boxes there, and they've been great. As Dimitri suggests,
you can get a $20/mo VPS that would do straightforward web hosting
without a problem (certainly what you could get out of a shared
account at most service levels).

- Chas