    understand it can be a problem if using Cherrypy/TurboGears

    - I have read that mod_python before 3.x can be difficult

    What other "gotchas" would I look for?
    walterbyrd, Nov 18, 2006

  2. Gregor Horvath, Nov 18, 2006

  3. walterbyrd

    gabor Guest

    gabor, Nov 18, 2006
  4. walterbyrd

    Fuzzyman Guest

    walterbyrd wrote:
    > For example:
    >
    > - If I want to use Django, I need either FastCGI or Apache
    > 2.X/mod_python 3.x
    >
    > - if I want to use TurboGears, I need Python 2.4: not 2.3 and not 2.5
    >
    > - I have just learned that some hosters have T&Cs that forbid long
    > running processes. I am not sure exactly what that means. Except I
    > understand it can be a problem if using Cherrypy/TurboGears
    >
    > - I have read that mod_python before 3.x can be difficult
    >
    > What other "gotchas" would I look for?

    The best host for Python (including Django and Turbogears), try
    webfaction. They used to be known as Python-hosting.com and offer great
    support for Python.

    Fuzzyman
    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/index2.shtml
    Fuzzyman, Nov 18, 2006
  5. walterbyrd

    Chas Emerick Guest

    On Nov 18, 2006, at 6:25 PM, dimitri pater wrote:

    > Hi,
    > is there any reason for you wanting to use a shared host? Just
    > asking..
    > Maybe you could use a VPS as this is not too expensive these days.
    > Of course, it would require more work to set things up. But it's
    > not too hard... (eg using apt-get,webmin,some basic Linux skills
    > using the command line)
    > regards,
    > Dimitri
    > (I use a VPS at rimuhostig ($20/month), but there are many, many more)

    I would absolutely second rimuhosting. We have a bunch of VPS' and
    dedicated boxes there, and they've been great. As Dimitri suggests,
    you can get a $20/mo VPS that would do straightforward web hosting
    without a problem (certainly what you could get out of a shared
    account at most service levels).

    - Chas
    Chas Emerick, Nov 19, 2006
  6. walterbyrd

    metaperl Guest

    Try our hosting cooperative. We are a not-for-profit hosting service:

    http://www.HCOOP.net

    metaperl, Nov 20, 2006