    any Java program. But do we have a techinical name which we can call
    them all??

    Chanchal

    Chanchal, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Chanchal

    Benji Guest

    Chanchal, while chewing on bamboo shoots, wrote:
    > hi all,

    > just wanted a simple question(sorry if it sounds stupid).but does any
    > one know what things like Classes, Interface,Enumerations etc can be
    > collectively called.I mean they are the fundamental building blocks of
    > any Java program. But do we have a techinical name which we can call
    > them all??

    They are all data types.

    --
    Of making better designs there is no end,
    and much refactoring wearies the body.

    Benji, Nov 29, 2005

  3. "Benji" <> wrote in message
    > Chanchal, while chewing on bamboo shoots, wrote:
    >> hi all,

    >> just wanted a simple question(sorry if it sounds stupid).but does any
    >> one know what things like Classes, Interface,Enumerations etc can be
    >> collectively called.I mean they are the fundamental building blocks of
    >> any Java program. But do we have a techinical name which we can call
    >> them all??

    > They are all data types.

    As are int, float, etc. If you want to distinguish between the two,
    Classes, Interfaces, etc. are reference types as opposed to scalar (or
    primitive) types.

    Mike Schilling, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Chanchal

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 28 Nov 2005 21:22:20 -0800, "Chanchal" <>

    >Classes, Interface,Enumerations

    They are blocks, but block includes try blocks etc as well.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Mike Schilling wrote:

    > As are int, float, etc. If you want to distinguish between the two,
    > Classes, Interfaces, etc. are reference types as opposed to scalar (or
    > primitive) types.

    Reference types includes array types. To exclude arrays the grammar uses
    ClassOrInterfaceType (classes include enums). I don't know where you got
    the 'scalar' term. Probably Perl. Isn't java.lang.Integer a scalar?

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer
    http://jroller.com/page/tackline/