What does this mean??

Thomas G. Marshall

zero coughed up:
Ok I yield. You're right, I'm wrong.

No, no. Say it again! Say it again!

Yield again dammit!

LOL. Seriously though, I'm sorry for being AR.

--
Enough is enough. It is /not/ a requirement that someone must google
relentlessly for an answer before posting in usenet. Newsgroups are for

Roedy Green

Can you imagine the multiplication of two large numbers? It could possibly
take a /very/ long time by cpu standards. They would never be able to
manage it in the handful of cycles that they do. 64 bits could handle 2
32bit numbers multiplied. That would be an iteration of 4 billion in
microcode or other chipset hardware!!!!!!

Yes and an ordinary 32x32 bit multiply is done in hardware with
parallel shifts and parallel adds, is it not? These fancy algorithms
such as karatsuba only apply for large BigInteger calculations.

Roedy Green

He said a loop using *only addition*.

He said that but he also said loop which implies some extra minor
stuff. The extra minor stuff he forgot about is the shift and test.

The point I am making is the source he originally heard this from was
likely correct. It is just he did not remember the WHOLE story. He
just remembered that part of the algorithm was a mess of additions.

His error would be akin to forgetting to shift over one for each line
when doing manual decimal multiply.

Thomas G. Marshall

Roedy Green coughed up:
He said that but he also said loop which implies some extra minor
stuff. The extra minor stuff he forgot about is the shift and test.

That's hardly "some minor stuff". That shift and test are the small binary
multiplies that are critical parts of the algorithm! That's like saying
that a sort routine is a comparison plus some minor stuff.

His notion was that it was merely cyclical addition. What he remembers,
from whom, and why, are of no consequence or value, much like our
conversation here.

I'm done with this diversion.