What does this warning mean

ranjeet.gupta

warning C4013: 'localData' undefined; assuming extern returning int

What the above warning exactly mean ?

Jack Klein

warning C4013: 'localData' undefined; assuming extern returning int

What the above warning exactly mean ?

This means that the compiler sees what it thinks is a function call,
but it does not have a prototype or declaration in scope. By the
rules of C before 1999, it must assume that there is a function by
that name that returns an int, taking arguments of the type you used
in the call after the default promotions.

In the C standard as of 1999, it is not legal to call a function
without a declaration in scope.

manoj1978

warning C4013: 'localData' undefined; assuming extern returning int

What the above warning exactly mean ?
you used the variable localData without declaring it first.
check your code.most possibly there is a typo in localData declaration.

Michael Mair

warning C4013: 'localData' undefined; assuming extern returning int

What the above warning exactly mean ?

<OT>That you were unable to press F1 on the selected warning
message.</OT>

Probably:
That the identifier localData has not been declared.
That it is used as if it was a function identifier.
That your compiler therefore assumes it was a function identifier.
That your compiler assumes that localData() has no prototype, returns
int and has external linkage.

Next time provide some context so that we can tell you with
certainty what is wrong.

Cheers
Michael

Keith Thompson

warning C4013: 'localData' undefined; assuming extern returning int

What the above warning exactly mean ?

It means that you forgot to show us the code that causes the warning.

ranjeet.gupta

Jack said:
This means that the compiler sees what it thinks is a function call,
but it does not have a prototype or declaration in scope. By the
rules of C before 1999, it must assume that there is a function by
that name that returns an int, taking arguments of the type you used
in the call after the default promotions.

In the C standard as of 1999, it is not legal to call a function
without a declaration in scope.

Thanks Jack, I was able to remove my warning, While going through
your mail.

Ranjeet Gupta

Netocrat

Thanks Jack, I was able to remove my warning, While going through
your mail. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^

I hope for Jack's case that this isn't what you meant to say (but if it
is, at least it's on the public record!). ;)

Default User

Netocrat said:
^^^^^^^^^

I hope for Jack's case that this isn't what you meant to say (but if
it is, at least it's on the public record!). ;)

Dibbs on the Social Security check!

Brian

Jack Klein

^^^^^^^^^

I hope for Jack's case that this isn't what you meant to say (but if it
is, at least it's on the public record!). ;)

With my wife's spending habits[1], I'm one of those people who would
be ahead financially if my identity was stolen!

[1]Can you tell my wife doesn't read usenet?