What happened to perl doc

perl man

Is this a bug or a new feature?

What I notice:

Working example: (perldoc for old perl versions)
1.) I go to http://perldoc.perl.org
2.) I select perl version 5.8.9
3.) I enter the word 'index' in the search field an and press enter.
4.) I see the help text about index.

Now the failing example (perldoc for perl 5.10.0 )
1.) I go to http://perldoc.perl.org
2.) I select perl version 5.10.0 (or I just select no version at all)
3.) I enter the word 'index' in the search field an and press enter.
4.) I see no help text about index. I seem to have no hit.
Friendly as perldoc is it suggests now:
Search results

The perldoc.perl.org search engine is optimised to index Perl functions, core modules, and FAQs. To perform a > full-text search of the documentation, please repeat your query using Google:

radio -box allowing to select the google search space
Google search button

I hope this is just a current drop out.

I use perldoc.perl.org a lot to browse perl documentation
interactively
Loosing this capability would be a real pity :-(

A. Sinan Unur

I use perldoc.perl.org a lot to browse perl documentation
interactively
Loosing this capability would be a real pity :-(

Why??? The documentation for your version of Perl is on your computer.
Yes, even the HTML version (assuming ActiveState on Windows ).

I have no idea what's going on with perldoc.perl.org but
http://perl.jonallen.info/projects/perldoc explains what to do when you
have found a problem.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/

perl man

Is this a bug or a new feature?

What I notice:

Working example: (perldoc for old perl versions)
1.) I go tohttp://perldoc.perl.org
2.) I select perl version 5.8.9
3.) I enter the word 'index' in the search field an and press enter.
4.) I see the help text about index.

Now the failing example (perldoc for perl 5.10.0 )
1.) I go tohttp://perldoc.perl.org
2.) I select perl version 5.10.0 (or I just select no version at all)
3.) I enter the word 'index' in the search field an and press enter.
4.) I see no help text about index. I seem to have no hit.
Friendly as perldoc is it suggests now:

I hope this is just a current drop out.

I use perldoc.perl.org a lot to browse perl documentation
interactively
Loosing this capability would be a real pity :-(

Thanks Sinan,

I use perldoc.perl.doc mostly when being on a windows host and writing
perl scripts for a remote linux machine via an xterm.

Of course I can scp the html tree to my local machine, but I like the
online documentation, which is available from any host whether perl is
installed or not

A. Sinan Unur

On Jun 4, 2:43 pm, perl man <[email protected]> wrote:

Thanks Sinan,

You should learn how to reply to posts. You replied to your own post,
and none of my comments were included in your reply which makes this
"Thanks Sinan" look a little bit out of place.
I use perldoc.perl.doc mostly when being on a windows host and writing
perl scripts for a remote linux machine via an xterm.

Why??? Does the remote machine not have perldoc installed? Have you not
heard of screen? Besides, why develop in such a painful way? Are you
actually editing scripts on a live server?
Of course I can scp the html tree to my local machine, but I like the
online documentation, which is available from any host whether perl is
installed or not

You should contact the site maintainers then.

However, you should also set yourself up with a development environment.
This could be a cheapo laptop or a USB key. You would be able to write,
debug, package, deploy scripts with ease.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/

Ben Bullock

The HTML version has hyperlinks and colours and things.
The documentation for your version of Perl is on your computer.
Yes, even the HTML version (assuming ActiveState on Windows ).

The HTML version is not on my current computer. I must have forgotten to
install it or something. Anyway, I often end up at the online version of
the documentation via Google. It's also useful for bookmarking via
"delicious" if you are moving from one computer to another.

News123

Ben said:
The HTML version has hyperlinks and colours and things.

The HTML version is not on my current computer. I must have forgotten to
install it or something. Anyway, I often end up at the online version of
the documentation via Google. It's also useful for bookmarking via
"delicious" if you are moving from one computer to another.
One other advantage of the HTML version (offline or online) is the
search capability. With the HTML version you get more (useful) hits for
a given search word

Perldoc seems to find les hits, though there might be a command line
optionm which I don't know, to have a similiar thorough search

bye

brian d foy

A. Sinan Unur said:
Why??? The documentation for your version of Perl is on your computer.

I find a web browser much more convenient. I even look at
search.cpan.org instead of reading module docs locally. You don't have
to do it that way, but I like it.

Tad J McClellan

brian d foy said:
I find a web browser much more convenient. I even look at
search.cpan.org instead of reading module docs locally.

I usually grab an unformatted version of the docs when I'm
in "reference mode", where I just want to look something up, eg:

perldoc -u CGI >CGI.pod
grep ^= CGI.pod | grep -i cookie
vi '+/=head1 HTTP COOKIES' CGI.pod

But when I'm in "learning mode", as with a new module for instance,
I too view the docs in a browser so that they can be prettily printed.

Then I put the printout in the smallest room in my house for when
I have to... um... errr... study.

:)

A. Sinan Unur

I find a web browser much more convenient. I even look at
search.cpan.org instead of reading module docs locally. You don't have
to do it that way, but I like it.

I do use HTML docs a lot as well. However, the files are on my hard
drive. Why would one want to do development with a constant connectivity
requirement?

The OP was complaining that if perldoc.perl.org did not work, then he
would lose the ability to browse Perl documentation interactively. My
reaction was to that: He is on Windows, he seems to be using
ActiveState, the link to the HTML documentation is installed in his
start menu. There is no reason for him to lose 'this capability'!

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/

cul fan

The OP was complaining that if perldoc.perl.org did not work, then he
would lose the ability to browse Perl documentation interactively. My
reaction was to that: He is on Windows, he seems to be using
ActiveState, the link to the HTML documentation is installed in his
start menu. There is no reason for him to lose 'this capability'!

Sinan

I am using cygwin. html-perldoc was not online.
However you're of course right I can download it and work locally,
which I did now
for two more hosts.

On the other hand I got the hang of using perldoc.org, as it is
available on
any computer (even on computers which aren't mine) and as it allows to
check the doc for perl 5.8.8, 5.8.9 and 5.10

In my work environment many users work on Windows hosts running there
their mailSW and their browser and connect to linux hosts via Exceed,
VNC. cygwin xterm, etc.

Of course you can start a web browser remotely with a remote display
on the linux host, but
the local windows browser is normally faster and if every user started
a browser remotely there would be less RAM available for scripts,
other tasks

What I could do as well is to install the html-perldoc on an internal
host with a web server.
Perhaps something to think about, but perldoc.org is just the lazy
self updating option.

cul fan

Did I mention, that I hate Google groups.

I am the OP and replied therefore to Sinan.
Howvever GG chose to use the pseudo of another group instead of the
pseudo for this group

cul fan = perl man

bye