What IDE support python 3.0.1 ?

Deep_Feelings

I want to start learning python and not wanna waste my time learning
python 2.x ,so i need your advise to what IDE to use for python 3.0.1

thank you

Benjamin Peterson

Deep_Feelings said:
I want to start learning python and not wanna waste my time learning
python 2.x ,so i need your advise to what IDE to use for python 3.0.1

Why do you think you're wasting time with 2.x?

Deep_Feelings

Deep_Feelings <doctoresam <at> gmail.com> writes:

Why do you think you're wasting time with 2.x?

yes..

should i write 2.x code then after a year or so i have to upgrade to
3.0 :( ?

Deep_Feelings

The question was, why do you think that?

What gives you the impression you will “have to upgrade to 3.0”?
Python 2.x will be around for a long time, and the upgrade police have
not been given your address yet. Also, the differences are not great;
when the time comes, your experience with Python 2.x will easily serve
you well in Python 3.x.

--
 \           “Self-respect: The secure feeling that no one, as yet, is |
  `\                                    suspicious.” —Henry L. Mencken |

that is great

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Fabio Zadrozny

I want to start learning python and not wanna waste my time learning
python 2.x ,so i need your advise to what IDE to use for python 3.0.1

Pydev supports Python 2.x and 3.x.

Cheers,

Fabio

Aahz

No, that is only one great editor and one abomination.
Opinions differ, however, on which one is the abomination. :)

Note that Brendon was careful to say "one or two" and that I followed
along.

Peter Anderson

Sam (I presume),

Like you I am also in the process of learning to program in Python. I
have been using Python 2.5.2 for quite some time but recently made the
switch to 3.0.1. Why? Because I read an article where Guido van Rossum
himself recommended that anyone starting out learning Python now was
wasting their time if they didn't start with Python 3. Some folks on
this list will tell you there is not much difference and that seems to
be true but I pleased that I made the switch.

Now for your question about an IDE. I am presuming you are just
beginning, perhaps done some programming in another language and
probably using a Windows based PC. Given that there are some things I
would recommend you stay away from (this will get the juices going :)
): Vi, Vim, Emacs and all those old fashioned UNIX/Linux based editors -
they are just too hard and why bother anyway, there are much more
civilised ways of proving your manhood. Eclipse is also an over-kill. I
would recommend any of the popular text editors; most will recognise
Python files.

I can tell you what I use:
*EditPad+* - http://www.editplus.com/index.html - A great general
purpose text editor that has the additional benefit of clip libraries
(what?). This might not seem important but it is a great time saver. A
clip library is a text file of code snippets that when you
'double-click' the required clip the editor inserts that code at the
current cursor position. For example the following is a clip I use for
the heading of a short script file:

#T=Short script
^# ^!.py
^# The purpose of this script is

def main():
{code here}

main()

After the clip has been inserted the cursor is positioned where the "^!"
string is (before ".py") waiting for the script name to be inserted. You
just build these clips to suit yourself. TextPad is another text editor
with the same features.

The main drawback with EditPlus is that when you run a Python script
from within EditPlus and that script uses stdin (eg. an input()
function) the editor can't handle it and you get an error message. I
overcome this problem by using easygui (http://easygui.sourceforge.net/)
dialogs for text input; a piece of cake :) . Another drawback is that
EditPlus is shareware and you have to pay for it (US35).

*SciTE* - http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html - Scite is a very good
little editor, it does not have the "bells and whistles" that editors
like EditPlus have but it does recognise Python files and can run them
from within the editor. It can also handle stdin (not that elegantly,
but it works) so you don't need the easygui work-around and its free.

*IDLE* - the built-in Python IDE. I have it configured so that the
editor panel loads first rather than the Python prompt. Everything runs
in IDLE!

*PyScripter* - http://code.google.com/p/pyscripter/ - From the web site:
"PyScripter is a free and open-source Python Integrated Development
Environment (IDE) created with the ambition to become competitive in
functionality with commercial Windows-based IDEs available for other
languages." This is a true IDE with most of the things you would expect.
However, I find that it gets a bit buggy at times. It does support
Python 3 and is free so its worth a try.

There are several other good Python editor/IDE's but they require
wxPython and it has not yet been made available in a Python 3 compatible
version.

I hope that helps. Give me a reply if you want any more help with any of
these things. Easygui is something that is really worth getting to know.
A copy of Python (Second Edition) by Toby Donaldson (ISBN 13:
978-0-321-58544-8) is another good thing to have when you are learning.

Regards,
Peter
--
*Peter Anderson*
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to

Mark

Why do you think you're wasting time with 2.x?

I'm a relative newbie to python as well but I'd agree that there is at
least a small degree of time "wasted" learning python 2.x simply because
the standard library of python 3.x has been cleaned up and consolidated
which makes learning it slightly easier.