What is Embedded Java?

Jacob

How is Java made embedded? To which devices
and on what OS platform?

How are applications developed? How are they
tested and how are they deployed?

What are the alternative/competing technologies?
Which one is better?

Thanks!

Franz Bayer

Try to google,
these are questions which are not answered with a simple statement.
There are at least two terms lectures for it at the technical university.

/franz

Mark Wright

One joyful day (Thu, 09 Sep 2004 10:52:07 +0200 to be precise), Jacob
How is Java made embedded?

Using a large mallet.
To which devices
and on what OS platform?

Whichever you can get it to sit on.
How are applications developed?

Client: Write me a killer app.
Software house: Hello, India? Make me a killer app.
India: Here you are, that's n dollars
Software house (to Client): Here you are, that's 10n dollars.
How are they tested

Software house: Does it work?
India: Yes
and how are they deployed?

Client: Download SnakeOil v1.00 and your life will never be the same
again!
Customer: What does it do?
Client: What do you need?
What are the alternative/competing technologies?

Client: Which technologies do you support?
Software house: Which technologies do you support?
India: What do you need?
Software House (to Client): All of them
Which one is better?

Client: Which one is better?
Software house: Which one is cheapest?
India: This one
Software house: (to Client): That one

No problem.

Now, get back to your homework. ;o)

Mark Wright
- (e-mail address removed)

================Today's Thought====================
"In places where books are burned, one day,
people will be burned" - Heinrich Heine, Germany -
100 years later, Hitler proved him right

Jacob

Franz said:
Try to google,
these are questions which are not answered with a simple statement.

I know embedded/real time programming is complex.

That's why searching is difficult, as I don't know
where to start. Searching for "embedded java" just
gives too much noise. Much of the Sun stuff seems
to be outdated btw.

I'd be grateful for links to where I can start off,
and I'll go from there.

Adam

Jacob said:
How is Java made embedded? To which devices
and on what OS platform?

How are applications developed? How are they
tested and how are they deployed?

What are the alternative/competing technologies?
Which one is better?

Embedded Java is the ancestor of Personal Java VM,
which in turn is the ancestor of CDC JVM. Find them
on sun's webpage.

Devices: for example - set top boxes. Google for Multimedia Home
Platform.
Applications: with MHP come 'xlets'.

Competing technologies: microsoft has something, I'm sure you can
easily
google it out or find on MS website.

Adam

Paul Lutus

Jacob wrote:

/ ...
That's why searching is difficult, as I don't know
where to start.

/ ...
I'd be grateful for links to where I can start off,
and I'll go from there.

Well, you certainly solved the problem that people think you should do your
own research using Google. Now the inquiry will be "which Google links
shall I use in my independent, original research that will get me a good,
undeserved grade?"

Jacob

Paul said:
Well, you certainly solved the problem that people think you should do your
own research using Google. Now the inquiry will be "which Google links
shall I use in my independent, original research that will get me a good,
undeserved grade?"

Actually I am considering a concultancy contract on
embedded Java, and I am sure there are individuals
that work within this field that could give me some
advices (i.e. links).

As I experienced information overload when Googling
I thought it could be of public interest to nail down
some quality starting points regarding this topic.

And as always: If a posting is outside your interest
or liking, just go on to the next one. Please reply
only if you have valuable information to share. That
will keep the general quality of the NG high.

Andrew Thompson

And as always: If a posting is outside your interest
or liking, just go on to the next one. Please reply
only if you have valuable information to share.

Please ask only if you have done your research,
or can justify that your research has thus far
failed. Neither of which you bothered to do in
your first post.

Alternatively, please continue encouraging people
not to answer your posts by posting as you have been.
[ That would at least keep the bandwidth low. ]
..That
will keep the general quality of the NG high.

There are two sides to keeping a high S/N ratio.

One of those is ensuring the group does not
become inundated with lazy questions from
people who want free consultancy.

For consultancy, there are places like eLance..

Paul Lutus

Jacob said:
Actually I am considering a concultancy contract on
embedded Java,

In that case, as a start, you definitely need to learn how to spell
"consultancy".
and I am sure there are individuals
that work within this field that could give me some
advices (i.e. links).

So how exactly does that make you a consultant, as opposed to a client of
consultants?
As I experienced information overload when Googling ...

If Googling is beyond your attention span, so will being a consultant. It is
all for the best.
I thought it could be of public interest to nail down
some quality starting points regarding this topic.

And did you find any? It seems that you did not.
And as always: If a posting is outside your interest
or liking, just go on to the next one.

If a career as a consultant is outside your competence, just go on to the
next one.
Please reply
only if you have valuable information to share.

Please post only if you have an actual question.
That
will keep the general quality of the NG high.

As will your eventual departure.

Jacob

I've got some friendly advices from the Java Developer
Forum; In conclusion:

o A better term than "embedded" is "wireless". It will improve
search results on the matter and seem to be the official term.

o The development is done towards the Java J2ME edition.
It can be downloaded from
http://java.sun.com/products/j2mewtoolkit/download-2_1.html

o Java classes are created as normal but put in a designated
directory and compiled using the "ktoolkit" of J2ME.
The "ktoolkit" itself utilizes J2SE which must be available.
Java code will typically import javax.microedition.* stuff and
classes will extend class "MIDlet".
A tutorial is available at
http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/midp/articles/wtoolkit/

o Applications ("MIDlets") are tested in a Nokia-lool-alike
emulator inside of "ktoolkit". When complete, the toolkit
is used to create a .jar and a .jad file.

o Deploying application to the actual device is described here:
http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/midp/articles/deploy/

Thanks for all input.

Adam

If you want to prepare a decent study/research, you shouldn't
just focus on the J2ME platform. Indeed it is the most popular,
but not the only technology used.

Adam

Darryl L. Pierce

Jacob said:
o The development is done towards the Java J2ME edition.
It can be downloaded from
http://java.sun.com/products/j2mewtoolkit/download-2_1.html

"J2ME" is not any particular VM, API, etc. It refers to all
smaller-than-desktop-and-embedded technologies; i.e., mobiles, set top
boxes, etc.
o Java classes are created as normal but put in a designated
directory and compiled using the "ktoolkit" of J2ME.

The KToolbar is just a utility that handles invoking javac for you, as well
as the preverifier, launching the emulators, etc. You still need to have
J2SDK installed.
The "ktoolkit" itself utilizes J2SE which must be available.
Java code will typically import javax.microedition.* stuff and
classes will extend class "MIDlet".

Only the main class for your applications needs to extend MIDlet.
A tutorial is available at
http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/mobility/midp/articles/wtoolkit/

o Applications ("MIDlets") are tested in a Nokia-lool-alike
emulator inside of "ktoolkit". When complete, the toolkit
is used to create a .jar and a .jad file.

The Wireless Toolkit comes with four different emulators; they're all the
same thing but just use different skins to change their appearance. For
variety, download the individual handset manufacturers' SDKs.

--
/**
* @author Darryl L. Pierce <[email protected]>