what is running inside aspnet_wp

O'O

There are many asp.net applications running on my server. Sometimes
aspnet_wp process consumes 100% of processor time. I want to find out,
which application causes this. There is probably a bug in one of
applications, but I don't know in which one. Is there any way to find
out what is running in aspnet_wp at the moment?

thanks

Ondra

JIMCO Software

O'O said:
There are many asp.net applications running on my server. Sometimes
aspnet_wp process consumes 100% of processor time. I want to find out,
which application causes this. There is probably a bug in one of
applications, but I don't know in which one. Is there any way to find
out what is running in aspnet_wp at the moment?

Yes. If you cannot afford to stop processing on the Web server (such as in
a production scenario), you can use cdb to get a dump that you can then
analyze in Windbg to see what is taking up your CPU cycles. You would do
that in conjunction with Perfmon data so that you can identify the thread(s)
that is spinning up the CPU. If you can afford to invasively attach, you
can just attach Windbg to the process and investigate this.

I assume some prior knowledge of how to do user-mode debugging. I realize
that this is a skill-set that most people don't have. If you aren't sure
how to do any of this, I suggest you open a case with Microsoft. Microsoft
has a highly-technical team of guys that are proficient in this kind of
work.

--
Jim Cheshire
JIMCO Software

FrontPage add-ins for FrontPage 2000 - 2003