What is the fastest way to pull data from an Oracle table?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Gummy, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. Gummy

    Gummy Guest

    Hello,

    I have a pretty large table (22,000 rows, 40 columns) that I need to return
    to either a webpage (maybe a datagrid or just a table) or just spit out
    directly to Excel. This table is coming from an Oracle database.

    The code we are using now uses the Enterprise Library and using the
    ExecuteDataSet method. I tried the ExecuteReader, but that didn't seem any
    faster. When I use the ExecuteReader my assumption is that I still need to
    get it into either a DataTable or DataSet in order to do anything with it. I
    haven't found a real good and/or fast way to do that. I can do it, but I
    don't image it is very optimized.

    What I don't understand is that if I use a query tool, such as Toad or SQL
    Navigator, I can pull the entire table in about 10 seconds. If I pull it
    through .NET it can take as long as seven minutes. That is even if I just
    iterate through the rows, not returning them to a page, just a running count
    on my Immediate window. I guess there is much more overhead with .NET, but I
    am surprised at such a big difference in time.

    My guess is that the Enterprise Library may be slowing things down, but I
    have no proof of that or any way to confirm those suspicions.

    I would really appreciate any suggestions on getting this to work faster.

    Thank you.

    -G

    p.s. We are using .NET 1.1

    Gummy, Feb 8, 2007

  2. Gummy

    Masudur Guest

    On Feb 8, 8:46 am, "Gummy" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a pretty large table (22,000 rows, 40 columns) that I need to return
    > to either a webpage (maybe a datagrid or just a table) or just spit out
    > directly to Excel. This table is coming from an Oracle database.
    >
    > The code we are using now uses the Enterprise Library and using the
    > ExecuteDataSet method. I tried the ExecuteReader, but that didn't seem any
    > faster. When I use the ExecuteReader my assumption is that I still need to
    > get it into either a DataTable or DataSet in order to do anything with it. I
    > haven't found a real good and/or fast way to do that. I can do it, but I
    > don't image it is very optimized.
    >
    > What I don't understand is that if I use a query tool, such as Toad or SQL
    > Navigator, I can pull the entire table in about 10 seconds. If I pull it
    > through .NET it can take as long as seven minutes. That is even if I just
    > iterate through the rows, not returning them to a page, just a running count
    > on my Immediate window. I guess there is much more overhead with .NET, but I
    > am surprised at such a big difference in time.
    >
    > My guess is that the Enterprise Library may be slowing things down, but I
    > have no proof of that or any way to confirm those suspicions.
    >
    > I would really appreciate any suggestions on getting this to work faster.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > -G
    >
    > p.s. We are using .NET 1.1

    Hi,
    Data Retrival using DataReader is the fasted method....
    But according to your post it seems you are having problem with
    datareader also...
    try use oracles dataprovider.... developed by oracle
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html

    Thanks
    Masudur
    ww.kaz.com.bd