    I know this is a dumb question, but what is the server name of this newsgroup?
    I'm posting this message via Google.com.
    But I want to access this newsgroup using Outlook Express.

    Joon-ho Ryu, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Joon-ho Ryu

    Jim Fischer Guest

    Re: [OT] What is the server name of this newsgroup?

    Joon-ho Ryu wrote:
    > I know this is a dumb question, but what is the server name of this newsgroup?
    > I'm posting this message via Google.com.
    > But I want to access this newsgroup using Outlook Express.

    Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) probably has an NNTP (newsgroup)
    server you can use to access the newsgroups on Usenet. If your ISP's DNS
    name is something like,

    somecompany.com

    try using

    news.somecompany.com

    as the DNS name of your ISP's NNTP server in Outlook Express.

    Note that the 'news.' prefix is a commonly used convention, but other
    prefixes are sometimes used. For example, Microsoft's public NNTP server
    can be reached using either

    news.microsoft.com
    msnews.microsoft.com

    and Borland's public NNTP server can be reached using either

    forums.borland.com
    newsgroups.borland.com

    Privately maintained NNTP servers like these provide access to
    company-specific newsgroups that are separate from the Usenet newsgroups
    that are accessible via your ISP's NNTP server.

    --
    Jim

    To reply by email, remove "link" and change "now.here" to "yahoo"
    jfischer_link5809{at}now.here.com

    Jim Fischer, Aug 7, 2003