what is the simplest way to send out email with SMTP authentication

networm

Hi all,

In Linux/Unix I can have as simple as a command "mail" to send out an
email...

In Matlab I can use "sendmail" to send out an email with or without an
attachment.

I also know that in Java and Perl there are also simple ways of sending out
email...

But what if a) the SMTP server needs authentication, like Yahoo SMTP, and
even b)my school email system, needs to first SSH log onto the server, then
send email from the server...

Are there any simple ways of sending out email for the above two cases?

Thanks a lot

Gregory Toomey

networm said:
Hi all,

In Linux/Unix I can have as simple as a command "mail" to send out an
email...

In Matlab I can use "sendmail" to send out an email with or without an
attachment.

I also know that in Java and Perl there are also simple ways of sending
out email...

But what if a) the SMTP server needs authentication, like Yahoo SMTP, and
even b)my school email system, needs to first SSH log onto the server,
then send email from the server...

Are there any simple ways of sending out email for the above two cases?

Thanks a lot

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do.

If you send email via Perl from Linux/unix, mail transfer agents like
sendmail & postfix assume any logged in user (or process) can send mail.

You need authentication when you send email via programs like
Outlook/Evolution.

gtoomey

Thomas Kratz

networm said:
Hi all,

In Linux/Unix I can have as simple as a command "mail" to send out an
email...

In Matlab I can use "sendmail" to send out an email with or without an
attachment.

I also know that in Java and Perl there are also simple ways of sending out
email...

But what if a) the SMTP server needs authentication, like Yahoo SMTP, and
even b)my school email system, needs to first SSH log onto the server, then
send email from the server...

Are there any simple ways of sending out email for the above two cases?

Have a look at the module Mail::Sender available on CPAN.

Thomas