What is XML?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Randell D., Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Randell D.

    Randell D. Guest

    Folks,
    Can someone point me towards where I can find out what XML is? I'm pretty
    clued up with PHP, MySQL, Apache and basic javascript and I've heard alot of
    the past year or more on XML but whenever I try to dip my toe into it, the
    most I can turn up are XML 'scripts' (?) but nothing that can clearly define
    why its so powerful.

    My understanding is XML is more a powerful version of HTML as opposed to a
    real programming language (I don't mean to frown using the word 'real' but
    my understanding is that XML does not contain conditional statements - I
    believe it allows you to format data making it more readable using pretty
    much any other type of technology out there).

    Am I - with the above understanding - anywhere in the vicinity of knowing
    what XML is or am I off track and in the dark?

    I'd appreciate if someone could point me towards a page that could clarify
    my understanding...

    Thanks...
    Randell D., Jul 14, 2003

  2. Randell D. wrote:
    > real programming language (I don't mean to frown using the word 'real' but

    It's not a programming language, and I doubt anyone seriously has ever
    made such a claim. It's a markup language.

    http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp has a nice introduction to XML.

    BTW, you failed to think of the word "tutorial". If you Google "xml
    tutorial", the above comes first in the search results :)
    Antonios Christofides, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Randell D.

    Mirch Masala Guest

    "Randell D." <> wrote in message

    > Folks,
    > Can someone point me towards where I can find out what XML is? I'm pretty
    > clued up with PHP, MySQL, Apache and basic javascript and I've heard alot

    of
    > the past year or more on XML but whenever I try to dip my toe into it, the
    > most I can turn up are XML 'scripts' (?) but nothing that can clearly

    define
    > why its so powerful.
    >
    > My understanding is XML is more a powerful version of HTML as opposed to a
    > real programming language (I don't mean to frown using the word 'real'

    but
    > my understanding is that XML does not contain conditional statements - I
    > believe it allows you to format data making it more readable using pretty
    > much any other type of technology out there).
    >
    > Am I - with the above understanding - anywhere in the vicinity of knowing
    > what XML is or am I off track and in the dark?
    >
    > I'd appreciate if someone could point me towards a page that could clarify
    > my understanding...
    >
    > Thanks...

    XML FAQ?

    http://www.ucc.ie/xml

    vr
    Mirch Masala, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Randell D.

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:12:35 GMT, Antonios Christofides
    <> wrote:

    >http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp has a nice introduction to XML.

    The sort of people who can write "HTML was designed to display data
    and to focus on how data looks." shouldn't be trusted entirely
    though. W3schools is _not_ anything to do with the W3C, and their
    tutorials have contained some real howlers in the past.
    Andy Dingley, Jul 15, 2003
  5. Randell D.

    Peter Flynn Guest

    FAQ. http://www.ucc.ie/xml

    > I'm pretty
    > clued up with PHP, MySQL, Apache and basic javascript

    They won't help you at all, I'm afraid.
    XML is a data format, not a programming language.

    > My understanding is XML is more a powerful version of HTML

    No, XML is the language in which XHTML is written. It's
    a meta-language: a language for writing markup languages.

    > as opposed to a
    > real programming language (I don't mean to frown using the word 'real' but
    > my understanding is that XML does not contain conditional statements

    XML doesn't have anything to do with programming, per se.
    You can use it to describe programming constructs, in such
    a way that a processor can use it as a programming language
    (this is what XSL and XSLT are) but that is not its primary
    purpose.

    > believe it allows you to format data making it more readable

    Usable. Readability is to do with formatting, and that's a
    separate issue.

    > Am I - with the above understanding - anywhere in the vicinity of knowing
    > what XML is or am I off track and in the dark?

    A bit off-track, I'm afraid.

    > I'd appreciate if someone could point me towards a page that could clarify
    > my understanding...

    Try the FAQ.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Randell D.

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:12:35 GMT, Antonios Christofides
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp has a nice introduction to XML.

    > The sort of people who can write "HTML was designed to display data
    > and to focus on how data looks." shouldn't be trusted entirely
    > though.

    In fact they should be rejected out of hand. I'm afraid a lot
    of w3schools stuff is pure rubbish.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Jul 16, 2003