    standard xml? What would it be called?

    Your help is truly appreciated!

    bill

    wltiii, Nov 1, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    wltiii <> wrote:

    ><?xml version="1.0"?>

    This is the XML declaration. It has the same syntax as a processing
    instruction, but technically it isn't one.

    ><?mso-application progid="Excel.Sheet"?>

    This is a processing instruction. Its purpose is to communicate
    information about the intended processing of the document. Presumably
    this one means that it's meant to be processed by Microsoft Excel.

    The syntax of a processing instruction is

    <?name ... ?>

    The ... can be any text, but it's common to make that text have the
    form of attribute-value pairs, as in your example.

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

    Richard Tobin, Nov 1, 2007

  3. wltiii

    wltiii Guest

    On Nov 1, 10:57 am, (Richard Tobin) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > wltiii <> wrote:
    > ><?xml version="1.0"?>

    > This is the XML declaration. It has the same syntax as a processing
    > instruction, but technically it isn't one.
    >
    > ><?mso-application progid="Excel.Sheet"?>

    > This is a processing instruction. Its purpose is to communicate
    > information about the intended processing of the document. Presumably
    > this one means that it's meant to be processed by Microsoft Excel.
    >
    > The syntax of a processing instruction is
    >
    > <?name ... ?>
    >
    > The ... can be any text, but it's common to make that text have the
    > form of attribute-value pairs, as in your example.
    >
    > -- Richard
    > --
    > "Consideration shall be given to the need for as many as 32 characters
    > in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

    Thanks much!

    wltiii, Nov 1, 2007