What LDAP Ports thru DMZ

Chris Davoli

I am going to use LDAP to look up userids on an active directory server. The
LDAP server is on the outside in the DMZ. The Active Directory server is on
the inside, so holes need to be poked into the firewall. My question is, what
ports need to be poked into the firewall so I can read active directory?

Joe Kaplan

At a minimum you need port 389 to query the domain and 3268 to query the
global catalog. If you will use SSL/LDAP, you need 636 and 3269
respectively.

Depending on the type of authentication you will do to AD, you may also need
Kerberos (port 88 TCP and UDP) and may need RPC (135 at a minimum).

When you say the LDAP server will be in the DMZ, are you setting up some
kind of LDAP proxy server or are you saying that the LDAP client application
(like a web server) will be in the DMZ? Generally you wouldn't need a
different LDAP server to talk to AD, although I suppose you could do that.

There is also another way to communicate with AD using the DSML server. It
allows you to make HTTP/SOAP calls to a web server that is essentially an
LDAP proxy. In that case, your firewall issues are just standard HTTP
things (80/443) if you put the DSML server behind the firewall. There is a
fairly straightforward way to program this if you are using .NET 2.0 and the
System.DirectoryServices.Protocols namespace.

Joe K.