What libraries should I use for MIME parsing, XML parsing, and MySQL ?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by John Levine, Feb 2, 2012.

  1. John Levine

    John Levine Guest

    I have a new application where people send me mail messages each of
    which has an attached ZIP file. Inside the ZIP file is an XML file
    which I want to parse and put the interesting bits into a MySQL
    database. (This is the dmarc.org system, in case you were wondering.)

    I'm running on FreeBSD which uses ruby 1.8. I see a bazillion ruby
    packages in the ports collection, but it's not obvious which ones are
    better than others. I figured out that Archive::ZIP is a reasonable
    way to get stuff out of the ZIP file, but which libraries should I use
    to:

    * parse mail messages and extract MIME parts

    * parse XML files

    * talk to MySQL databases?

    TIA

    John Levine, Feb 2, 2012