what platform do you code on?

Aryeh M. Friedman

I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version?

2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?

3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?

4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?

5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?

6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?

Daniel Pitts

Aryeh said:
I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version? Redhat, 1.5 and 1.6

2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?
Sometimes NetBSD on i386
3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?
Both, 1.5, 1.6
4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's? No.
5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's? No.
6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?
No.

I use IDEA mostly.

Mark Rafn

[posted to cljp and CC'd]

Aryeh M. Friedman said:
1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version?

Redhat EL3 at work, java version "1.5.0_12". Gentoo frankenstien machine at
home, java version "1.5.0_13". Also playing with 1.6. All Sun J2SE releases.
2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?
nope.

3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?

Windows XP on a few different machines, same version as linux.
4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?

Eclipse 3.3 on WinXP, RHEL3, and Gentoo linux.
5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?

Only every few versions to see if I want to switch.
6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?

All of my work and home java projects build from the commandline, though I
usually use the IDE for the code/test cycle. Ant works nicely on windows
and linux. I do have some bash and perl scripts for deployment of webapps to
tomcat, or for installation of daemons on the server at home. At work, the
deploy process is more complex than is worth documenting here.

Lew

Aryeh said:
I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):

This is Usenet. Answers are public.
1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version?

Yes. Fedora 7 (8 coming here soon). JDK 6, Sun's, usually. Also keep Java 5
and an IBM JVM around for certain needs.
2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?
No.

3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?

Sometimes. XP. Sun Java 6.
4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?

Sometimes. "Europa", WSAD and Rational Application Developer (RAD).
5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?

NB 6 on Linux and Windows.
6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?

Yes - for builds that should go to someone else. Fedora 7, bash, and Windows
XP, bash.

You should ask about version control, too.

Mark Space

Aryeh said:
I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):
No!

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version?
nope.

2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?

Nope, but I'd like to run production apps on FreeBSD. I hears BSD and
J2EE don't play well though, which is a bummer.
3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?

Vista, and whatever is latest version of JDK. I think I have a couple
older runtimes installed, but I didn't look it up.
4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?

No. I'd like to learn but my initial foray into Eclipse wasn't a great
experience.
5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?

Yep, just upgraded to 6.0. Used 5.5 before that.
6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?

Very seldom, although I like to make sure projects are generally
buildable from the command line, NetBeans does produce regular old Ant
scripts I can use to build, so I generally let it do it's thing.

Arne Vajhøj

Mark said:
Nope, but I'd like to run production apps on FreeBSD. I hears BSD and
J2EE don't play well though, which is a bummer.

Java ? A specific app server ? I am pretty sure the PDF docs
with the specs work fine !

Arne

Aryeh M. Friedman

Java ? A specific app server ? I am pretty sure the PDF docs
with the specs work fine !

Arne

I don't know about installing outside of ports but the only ports
installable Sub product is jdk-XXX

Knute Johnson

Aryeh said:
I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version?

Very rarely. Fedora. Latest Sun.
2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?
No.

3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?

Yes. XP. Sun's 6.
4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?
No.

5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?
No.

6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?

Exclusively. All. Vim.

Aryeh M. Friedman

You should ask about version control, too.

2 reasons why I didn't:

1. The program I am asking about specifically is an extension to my
company's unit testing framework and basically was attempting to
figure what configs I needed to test it against... the main things is
adding plugin support for eclipse and maybe nb and making it
localization ready (it will only come with american english but people
are free to make their own resource bundles)

2. At some point in the future we plan to offer our own change
management (better term then version control because it incompasses
more) system and thus we ask about stuff then.

But I would like to know:

1. If there was a commerical unit testing that was reasonable priced
(less then $50... currently priced at $10) that had the following
features (plus the ones listed above) would intrested:

* Ability to set the type of test at run time and test method by
test method (i.e. unit, integration, system, "all", etc.)

* Flexible in report format and frontend UI

* Complete source (user modifiable [see my blog noted below for
more info] at essencially the same level as any open-source product)

* Localization

* Maintains most of jUnit's semantics

* Specifically designed to be a component of a larger development
system

Whould you be willing to buy it instead of staying with something like
jUnit?

2. What other features can you think of that would work well?

My blog address (note I just found out site has some IE issues but
works fine in firefox): http://www.flosoft-systems.com then click on
community

daf

I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version? no

2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports? no

3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?

Win XP sp2 Java 6
4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?
Eclipse 3.2.2 on windows XP
5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's? No

6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?
No

ryuujin

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version?
Ubuntu 7.10 for developing in JAVA.
java version "1.6.0_03"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode)
4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?
europa version. 3.3
5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?
I just try sometimes. I just installed version 6.
6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?
sometimes. I use VIm with some macro to compile and execute java
programming.

r.

Hendrik Maryns

Aryeh M. Friedman schreef:
I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version?

Suse 10.3, 64-bit. I don’t really care about the Java version. I have
ibm’s somewhere to test whether Eclipse works better with it, but use
sun’s 6 mostly.

Also an old gcj1.4 somewhere, because OpenOffice needs it.
2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?
no

3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?

only if my girlfriend booted the computer and I have no time to reboot.
So no.
4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?

Eclipse 3.3, everywhere, for Java, C, TeX, CVS & Subversion, and l10n
work on several FOSS projects.
5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?

Had a look at it once, didn’t convince me, too deep into Eclipse now. I
love the ‘Save actions’ introduced in 3.3.
6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?

Occasionally, if Eclipse doesn’t do what I want.

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================

Martin Gregorie

Aryeh said:
I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK
version?
Yes. Fedora Core 7, J2SE 1.4 currently, will move to 1.6 shortly
2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?
No.

3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?
No.

4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?
No.

5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?
No.

6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?

Yes. Linux with bash, ant and microEmacs.

marcelomorales.name

1. Do you use Linux to develop Java? If so what distro and JDK

Yes.

These are my three main development platforms:
1 Mac OS X. Because i own a powerbook. Apple's jdk 5. (hey, it is
i386)
2 Linux. Sun's jdk 6
3 Solaris. Sun's jdk 5
2. Do you use FreeBSD to develop Java? If so what version (i386 or
amd64?) and what JDK version? Do you use JavaVMWrapper from ports?
No

3. Do you use Windows (XP or Vista) to develop Java? If so what
version and what version of the JDK?
No

4. Do you use Eclipse? If so what version and on what OS's?

Seldom. I used 3.2 last time
5. Do you use NetBeans? If so what version on what OS's?

Netbeans 6. I've using the betas and daily builds half this year
6. Do you use command line based Java development? If so on what OS's
and what command shell do you use?

Whenever a quick fix is needed, or if I need advanced editing
(rectangles, macros, query replace using regexp, re-encode source
files) I sometimes use emacs.

I use a lot of command line utilities in everyday programming. Any
decent bash with unix utilities does the job. To maniputate text, i
use things like perl, awk, join, sed, grep, etc. To test
communications, telnet. Sometimes I also use maven or ant directly
without opening any IDE. I produce patches using diff from the command
line when i need more control.

I just posted because i didn't see anybody like me posting so far. :)

Regards

Marcelo Morales

Lew

Aryeh said:
1. The program I am asking about specifically is an extension to my
company's unit testing framework and basically was attempting to
figure what configs I needed to test it against... the main things is
adding plugin support for eclipse and maybe nb and making it
localization ready (it will only come with american english but people
are free to make their own resource bundles)

How will asking the newsgroup give any statistically meaningful information
for this determination? Or do you plan just to support every platform / IDE /
development environment we mention here?

Hendrik Maryns

Lew schreef:
I'd never heard that before. Are you certain?

No. But if I mark it for uninstall in the package manager, it complains
about missing dependencies for ooffice. The first ‘it’ is
java-1_4_2-gcj-compat. Reading the below, I think it is because I am on
a 64-bit architecture and somehow, Yast thinks Sun’s java6 does not
provide a 64-bit version, though it does. There are some problems
there, e.g. it is also troublesome to deinstall java-1_5_0-sun and set
java-1_6_0-sun instead, I had to run update-alternatives --config=java
to fix broken links afterwards. And of course, no Firefox plugin, but
that is Sun’s issue.

I pasted some of the Yast conflict messages below, it goes on for about
every OOO component, and for gnome-office and kde-office. I’m afraid it
is in Dutch, but if you’re really interested, GIYF.

H.

#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2007-12-07 16:16:23 ####

<snip>

afhankelijkheden voor OpenOffice_org ontbreken
Er zijn geen alternatieve aanbieders van jre-64 geïnstalleerd voor
OpenOffice_org-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.x86_64
=== OpenOffice_org-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.x86_64 ===
java-1_4_2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-177.x86_64 levert jre-64 == 1.4.2,
maar is aangemerkt voor deïnstallatie.

java-1_5_0-sun-1.5.0_update12-23.x86_64[http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/non-oss/]
levert jre-64 == 1.5.0, maar heeft een andere architectuur.

java-1_4_2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-177.x86_64[http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/openSUSE-stable/repo/oss]
levert jre-64 == 1.4.2, maar blijft staan volgens planning.
OpenOffice_org-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.x86_64 is afhankelijk van
java-1_4_2-gcj-compat
OpenOffice_org-2.3.0.1.2-10.3.x86_64 mist de vereiste jre-64
(null)
Conflictoplossing:
( ) java-1_4_2-gcj-compat behouden
( ) java-1_4_2-gcj-compat installeren
( ) OpenOffice_org verwijderen
( ) Negeer deze vereiste hier
( ) Negeer deze vereiste normaliter

<snip>
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================
http://aouw.org
Ask smart questions, get good answers:

Sherman Pendley

Arne Vajhøj said:
Makes sense assuming that answers are considered to be beneficial for
others, but ...

Indeed. For polls and such, it's pretty common practice for the author to
request private replies, and then post a summary back to usenet later on.

sherm--

Aryeh M. Friedman

How will asking the newsgroup give any statistically meaningful information
for this determination? Or do you plan just to support every platform / IDE /
development environment we mention here?

Not really... just identify any obvious front runners... linux mostly
because I am developing on FreeBSD so that is covered and I already
have vista installed and for the purposes of this product that is
close enough to for testing purposes to XP (I can run it in XP compat
mode)... beyond that I was just figuring out what jvm to compile for
and it looks like 1.5 is pretty safe (I use 1.6 for development) and
what IDE's to write plugins for (with eclipse and nb being the only
canidates)