what platform do you code on?

Lew

Aryeh said:
For NDA reasons I can't discuss the exact details but even though this
is true at the absolute lowest levels (perhaps a few hundred lines of
Asm) everything else in the design is portable and needs to be

I think your own suggesting of JNI for the specific bits is the way to go.

As Arne pointed out, to get the full functionality of a JRE you'll wind up
with a JRE.

Mark Thornton

Aryeh said:
Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

..
If your [sic] intending to true systems level coding it is needed. ..
What is "true systems level coding"?

Something that is below the JRE's services (like GC)... namely one of
my long terms is a Java OS (with just enough assembly to fake/simulate
ptr's and other things that require fixed addr operations)

Are you aware of this:
http://www.jnode.org/

Mark Thornton

Aryeh M. Friedman

AryehM. Friedman said:
AryehM. Friedman wrote:
..
If your [sic] intending to true systems level coding it is needed. ..
What is "true systems level coding"?
Something that is below the JRE's services (like GC)... namely one of
my long terms is a Java OS (with just enough assembly to fake/simulate
ptr's and other things that require fixed addr operations)

Are you aware of this:http://www.jnode.org/

Mark Thornton

No but taking a fast look it is just an other unix clone... again for
NDA reasons no details but the one I have in mind is almost a complete
break from traditional OS's

Mark Thornton

Aryeh said:
AryehM. Friedman said:
AryehM. Friedman wrote:
..
If your [sic] intending to true systems level coding it is needed. ..
What is "true systems level coding"?
Something that is below the JRE's services (like GC)... namely one of
my long terms is a Java OS (with just enough assembly to fake/simulate
ptr's and other things that require fixed addr operations)
Are you aware of this:http://www.jnode.org/

Mark Thornton

No but taking a fast look it is just an other unix clone... again for
NDA reasons no details but the one I have in mind is almost a complete
break from traditional OS's

The significant feature, in the context of this thread, is that it is
almost entirely implemented in Java. For that OS, Java *IS* the systems
language.

Mark Thornton

Aryeh M. Friedman

Aryeh said:
AryehM. Friedman wrote:
AryehM. Friedman wrote:
..
If your [sic] intending to true systems level coding it is needed. ..
What is "true systems level coding"?
Something that is below the JRE's services (like GC)... namely one of
my long terms is a Java OS (with just enough assembly to fake/simulate
ptr's and other things that require fixed addr operations)
Are you aware of this:http://www.jnode.org/
Mark Thornton
No but taking a fast look it is just an other unix clone... again for
NDA reasons no details but the one I have in mind is almost a complete
break from traditional OS's

The significant feature, in the context of this thread, is that it is
almost entirely implemented in Java. For that OS, Java *IS* the systems
language.

Sun already did that I thought

Aryeh M. Friedman

AryehM. Friedman said:
AryehM. Friedman wrote:
..
If your [sic] intending to true systems level coding it is needed. ..
What is "true systems level coding"?
Something that is below the JRE's services (like GC)... namely one of
my long terms is a Java OS (with just enough assembly to fake/simulate
ptr's and other things that require fixed addr operations)
Mark Thornton

No but taking a fast look it is just an other unix clone... again for
NDA reasons no details but the one I have in mind is almost a complete
break from traditional OS's

Also forgot to mention even though the OS it self is going to be
"open" source (see http://www.flosoft-systems.com/flosoft_systems_community/blogs/aryeh/index.php
[first 3 items] for details on what I mean [btw I do not mean the
source will not be avaible to everyone {even non-users} just that
there are some restrictions on using it for anything except research
and evaluation]).... thus the fact that jnode has GPL components makes
it incompatible with my business model... also since it is based on
gcj and gnu's version of the std class lib it doesn't support 1.5+.

Mark Thornton

Aryeh said:
Sun already did that I thought

They spread the name Java a bit too far. I seem to remember they briefly
had something called JavaOS which was actually a Linux distribution.
There may have been several unrelated efforts of the same name, just to
confuse the issue even more.

Nevertheless JNode is one you can go and play with now.

Mark Thornton

Aryeh M. Friedman

I am attempting to figure out what platforms I need to test a program
I am developing on and thus am interested in finding out what
platforms people are using on x86 hardware. Please answer the
following and send it to me privately at (e-mail address removed):

Well since I need to make the decision and have it installed by monday
here is what I plan to do for linux: fedora (what ever the latest is),
jdk 16 eclipse and netbeans (turns out netbeans doesn't work on
FreeBSD [might need some hacking from me])... I am also going to make
a small experimental install of jnode just to see what it is like

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
That's JDK 6, not 16.

Hmm.

According to:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/version-6.html

then:

#while 1.6.0 is the developer version.

and:

#Version 1.6.0 Used by Developers
#
#Java SE keeps the version number 1.6.0 (or 1.6) in some places that are
#visible only to developers,

which I read as that 1.6 is fine for developers (while managers and
sales people should use 6).

Or in other words 1.6 should be OK in c.l.j.p !

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
Hmm.

According to:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/version-6.html

then:

#while 1.6.0 is the developer version.

and:

#Version 1.6.0 Used by Developers
#
#Java SE keeps the version number 1.6.0 (or 1.6) in some places that are
#visible only to developers,

which I read as that 1.6 is fine for developers (while managers and
sales people should use 6).

Or in other words 1.6 should be OK in c.l.j.p !

Yes, it should, but he didn't say "1.6".

Lew

Roger said:
I guess that should be GNU/Linux as Linux would be useless by itself for
most users (even programmers). Richard Stallman elaborates a little more
on http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html

That's an extremely good point. However, people have gotten so colloquial
with saying just "Linux" that it's come to be understood as a synonym for
"GNU/Linux".

Stallman is famous for insisting on all sorts of things that people ignore.

Similarly, although Sun has tried to insist that as a trademark, "Java" only
be used as an adjective ("the Java language"), people insist on using it as a
noun. (Which, since as such it's a proper noun, must be capitalized, even if
the trademark didn't require it.)

Lew

Sorry for using the FreeBSD naming convention of no '.' in version
numbers (for any program)

Doesn't that get confusing?

Certainly it does for someone like me who hasn't used FreeBSD.

Stay with the regular version numbering and it will be clearer.

Aryeh M. Friedman

That's an extremely good point. However, people have gotten so colloquial
with saying just "Linux" that it's come to be understood as a synonym for
"GNU/Linux".

Stallman is famous for insisting on all sorts of things that people ignore..

Don't you mean Comrade Stallman?