    My company has been using the log4py library for a long time. A co-worker recently installed Python 3.2, and log4py will no longer compile. (OK, I know that's the wrong word, but you know what I mean.) What logging packageshould be used now?

    Thank you.

    RobR

    Rob Richardson, Nov 22, 2011

  2. On 22-11-11 19:32, Rob Richardson wrote:
    > Greetings!
    >
    > My company has been using the log4py library for a long time. A co-worker recently installed Python 3.2, and log4py will no longer compile. (OK, I know that's the wrong word, but you know what I mean.) What logging package should be used now?

    The logging module from Python's stdlib?
    http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/logging.html

    Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Nov 22, 2011

  3. Thank you for that link.

    Our customers are used to the rotating log file capability of the log4py package. I did not see anything in that link that talks about rotating log files (changing file name when the date changes, and saving a limited numberof old log files). Is that possible using the stdlib logging package? Isthere something else available that will do that, so we don't have to rollour own (or, more likely, stick to Python 2.7, for which log4py works)?

    Thanks again!

    RobR

    Rob Richardson, Nov 23, 2011
  4. Rob Richardson

    Peter Otten Guest

    Rob Richardson wrote:

    > Our customers are used to the rotating log file capability of the log4py
    > package. I did not see anything in that link that talks about rotating
    > log files (changing file name when the date changes, and saving a limited
    > number of old log files). Is that possible using the stdlib logging
    > package?

    How about

    http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/logging.handlers.html#timedrotatingfilehandler

    Peter Otten, Nov 23, 2011