WHAT THE &%&* HAPPENED TO THE ASP REFERENCES?????

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Qazz, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. Qazz

    Qazz Guest

    Qazz, Jan 19, 2005

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_seso.asp

    > Did M$ scrap them altogether? Are they coming back?? Even the links
    > returned from searches lead to 404's...
    >
    > This is bad, way bad....

    I was told yesterday that the links to much of the content would be
    changing. I guess it has happened. let me see if I can find you a new link
    to use. Be right back ...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/activeservpages.asp

    A lot of the links are still broken. I would give them a while to get
    everything straightened out. In the meantime, use Google to search the site
    for specific content (e.g., search

    Request Object site:msdn.microsoft.com
    http://www.google.com/search?source...D:en&q=site:msdn.microsoft.com Request object
    ) and use their cached pages instead of clicking on the main link presented
    in the search results page.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 19, 2005

  3. Qazz wrote:
    > Yesterday morning, all the ASP Reference Pages were there, and then
    > yesterday afternoon they were all gone!!! For example:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_seso.asp

    > Did M$ scrap them altogether? Are they coming back?? Even the links
    > returned from searches lead to 404's...
    >
    > This is bad, way bad....

    Here's the new link:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/2c40c3cf-90eb-41ca-ae2a-0ef33a651779.asp

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 19, 2005
  4. > Here's the new link:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/2c40c3cf-90eb-41ca-ae2a-0ef33a651779.asp

    Oh great. I love when they change all the URLs and leave orphans out there.
    The least they could do is have the 404 pages triggered correctly.

    Anyone feel like going through 47 FAQ articles and updating URLs? I don't
    have a problem with the changes to the KB format, because that's all in a
    function (as long as the KB # stays the same, of course). Destination URLs
    where the page names actually change, that's nothing short of a royal PITA.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jan 19, 2005
  5. Qazz

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" wrote in message
    :> Here's the new link:
    : >
    :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/2c40c3cf-90eb-41ca-ae2a-0ef33a651779.asp
    :
    : Oh great. I love when they change all the URLs and leave orphans out
    there.
    : The least they could do is have the 404 pages triggered correctly.
    :
    : Anyone feel like going through 47 FAQ articles and updating URLs?

    I'd do it but not for free or you could always write a script to do it.
    (O:=
    Perhaps there should be a ASPFAQ re: history of ASP reference links, why
    they change and how often. Perhaps they're on a schedule and we just don't
    realize it.

    : I don't
    : have a problem with the changes to the KB format, because that's all in a
    : function (as long as the KB # stays the same, of course). Destination
    URLs
    : where the page names actually change, that's nothing short of a royal
    PITA.

    It sounds like MSFT is not taking their own advice about never testing in
    production. I wish they would take these people and put them on repairing
    issues with IE and quit worrying about changing links. Why does this happen
    anyway? Did someone look at the link and say, "You know, that link is just
    not making it for me. What would be better would be this _____________"
    And someone else says, "Ya', that looks better but Aaron's gonna' be PO'd!"
    To which she responds with, "Ya', I know... *giggle* ... but it's just too
    good. LET'S DO ITTTTTTTTT!!!!"

    Or, perhaps it is just because Steve's brother-in-law needs a job? (O:=

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_seso.asp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/2c40c3cf-90eb-41ca-ae2a-0ef33a651779.asp

    After looking at them side-side, I have to agree, the new one is a lot more
    attractive. Don't you agree?

    Roland Hall, Jan 20, 2005
  6. Qazz

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    >> I wish they would take these people and put them on repairing issues with
    IE

    Hear! Hear!

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Jan 20, 2005