WHAT THE &%&* HAPPENED TO THE ASP REFERENCES?????

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Qazz said:
Yesterday morning, all the ASP Reference Pages were there, and then
yesterday afternoon they were all gone!!! For example:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_seso.asp

Did M$ scrap them altogether? Are they coming back?? Even the links
returned from searches lead to 404's...

This is bad, way bad....

I was told yesterday that the links to much of the content would be
changing. I guess it has happened. let me see if I can find you a new link
to use. Be right back ...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/activeservpages.asp

A lot of the links are still broken. I would give them a while to get
everything straightened out. In the meantime, use Google to search the site
for specific content (e.g., search

Request Object site:msdn.microsoft.com
http://www.google.com/search?source...D:en&q=site:msdn.microsoft.com+Request+object
) and use their cached pages instead of clicking on the main link presented
in the search results page.

Bob Barrows

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Qazz said:
Yesterday morning, all the ASP Reference Pages were there, and then
yesterday afternoon they were all gone!!! For example:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_seso.asp

Did M$ scrap them altogether? Are they coming back?? Even the links
returned from searches lead to 404's...

This is bad, way bad....

Here's the new link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/2c40c3cf-90eb-41ca-ae2a-0ef33a651779.asp

Bob Barrows

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Here's the new link:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/2c40c3cf-90eb-41ca-ae2a-0ef33a651779.asp

Oh great. I love when they change all the URLs and leave orphans out there.
The least they could do is have the 404 pages triggered correctly.

Anyone feel like going through 47 FAQ articles and updating URLs? I don't
have a problem with the changes to the KB format, because that's all in a
function (as long as the KB # stays the same, of course). Destination URLs
where the page names actually change, that's nothing short of a royal PITA.

Roland Hall

in message
:> Here's the new link:
: >
:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/2c40c3cf-90eb-41ca-ae2a-0ef33a651779.asp
:
: Oh great. I love when they change all the URLs and leave orphans out
there.
: The least they could do is have the 404 pages triggered correctly.
:
: Anyone feel like going through 47 FAQ articles and updating URLs?

I'd do it but not for free or you could always write a script to do it.
(O:=
Perhaps there should be a ASPFAQ re: history of ASP reference links, why
they change and how often. Perhaps they're on a schedule and we just don't
realize it.

: I don't
: have a problem with the changes to the KB format, because that's all in a
: function (as long as the KB # stays the same, of course). Destination
URLs
: where the page names actually change, that's nothing short of a royal
PITA.

It sounds like MSFT is not taking their own advice about never testing in
production. I wish they would take these people and put them on repairing
issues with IE and quit worrying about changing links. Why does this happen
anyway? Did someone look at the link and say, "You know, that link is just
not making it for me. What would be better would be this _____________"
And someone else says, "Ya', that looks better but Aaron's gonna' be PO'd!"
To which she responds with, "Ya', I know... *giggle* ... but it's just too
good. LET'S DO ITTTTTTTTT!!!!"

Or, perhaps it is just because Steve's brother-in-law needs a job? (O:=

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/iissdk/iis/ref_vbom_seso.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/iissdk/html/2c40c3cf-90eb-41ca-ae2a-0ef33a651779.asp

After looking at them side-side, I have to agree, the new one is a lot more
attractive. Don't you agree?

Bob Lehmann

I wish they would take these people and put them on repairing issues with
IE

Hear! Hear!

Bob Lehmann