What's the best IDE?

Hakusa

Recently I've had some problems with PythonWin when I switched to
Py2.5, tooka long hiatus, and came back. So now I'm without my god sent
helper, and I'm looking for a cool replacement, or some advocation to
reinstall/setup PyWin. But the Python website's list is irrefutably
long. It would take a month or two to test all of those products. So
I'm looking for experienced advocates.

What's your favorite IDE?
What do you like about it?
It would be fine for a begginer, right?

Steven Bethard

Recently I've had some problems with PythonWin when I switched to
Py2.5, tooka long hiatus, and came back. So now I'm without my god sent
helper, and I'm looking for a cool replacement, or some advocation to
reinstall/setup PyWin. But the Python website's list is irrefutably
long. It would take a month or two to test all of those products. So
I'm looking for experienced advocates.

What's your favorite IDE?
What do you like about it?
It would be fine for a begginer, right?

I don't really have a good answer here, but maybe a data point. I got
tired of waiting for ActiveState to put out a Python 2.5 and installed
the one from python.org instead, which doesn't include PythonWin. I
figured that I should take the opportunity to try out Komodo, which I'd
heard was pretty good. I downloaded the alpha and used it for about
half a month. Komodo's interface is pretty good, and when you're
writing code in a module, the auto-completion is great, but there's no
auto-completion at the interactive prompt. I use the interactive prompt
heavily, so that was pretty much the end of it for me. I downloaded the
pywin32 module and got my PythonWin back. =)

STeVe

mkPyVS

I perform python development for cross platform firmware integration
and analysis on a daily basis and the IDE I use and recommend is Komodo
from ActiveState. Our worldwide development group (30) has recently all
purchased the professional version as it integrates with several
version control systems, has a built-in python debugger, a
mutli-language/package GUI builder, and in-line code
lookup/auto-complete functionality. There are a few nice-to-haves which
aren't available such as: C (++, # or otherwise) auto-complete and
alternate py-documentation viewer but the pros far outweighed the cons
for our development team.
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/?tn=1

Bruno Desthuilliers

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
Recently I've had some problems with PythonWin when I switched to
Py2.5, tooka long hiatus, and came back. So now I'm without my god sent
helper, and I'm looking for a cool replacement, or some advocation to
reinstall/setup PyWin. But the Python website's list is irrefutably
long. It would take a month or two to test all of those products. So
I'm looking for experienced advocates.

What's your favorite IDE? emacs

What do you like about it?
1. It's so complicated and ugly that just using it is enough to makes
you look like a seasonned pro.
2. It gives me a reason to engage in holy wars with vim users.
It would be fine for a begginer, right?
Certainly not.

But you may want to look for other advices:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=best+IDE&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

Hakusa

I don't really have a good answer here, but maybe a data point. I got
tired of waiting for ActiveState to put out a Python 2.5 and installed
the one from python.org instead, which doesn't include PythonWin. I
figured that I should take the opportunity to try out Komodo, which I'd
heard was pretty good. I downloaded the alpha and used it for about
half a month. Komodo's interface is pretty good, and when you're
writing code in a module, the auto-completion is great, but there's no
auto-completion at the interactive prompt. I use the interactive prompt
heavily, so that was pretty much the end of it for me. I downloaded the
pywin32 module and got my PythonWin back. =)

STeVe

Komodo sounds alright. I don't use the interactive promt much anyway, I
usually just copy and past stuff from my real code to see if it works.

Any more advocates?
I forgot to mention that auto-completion is my favorite little helper.
Any IDEs of astronomical proportions in relation to ease of use to
auto-completion?

Also:
Links to what you suggest?

Hakusa

PS: Search engine . . . I knew this had probably come up very often,
but I get it's pretty silly of me that I didn't utilize this.

And while I was posting another mark for Komodo came. Nice, is it.

Neil Cerutti

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
1. It's so complicated and ugly that just using it is enough to makes
you look like a seasonned pro.
2. It gives me a reason to engage in holy wars with vim users.

It seems like the holy wars are pretty. We disciples of Vim and
Emacs are now content merely being holier than all he others.

Actually, I'm not sure there's been a good Emacs VS Vim holy war
in years. So... ya know what's I find to be shamefully hatefully
orthodox? Believing in the 'meta' key, when it's clearly just
Alt. Those same people often hold to the heresy that 'to fill'
means 'to wrap'. They believe that modes exist for different
'languages', and moreover, that there's more than just the
trinity of INSERT, EDIT and COMMAND-LINE.

Neil Cerutti

It seems like the holy wars are pretty. We disciples of Vim and
Emacs are now content merely being holier than all he others.

Actually, I'm not sure there's been a good Emacs VS Vim holy war
in years. So... ya know what's I find to be shamefully
hatefully orthodox? Believing in the 'meta' key, when it's
clearly just Alt. Those same people often hold to the heresy
that 'to fill' means 'to wrap'. They believe that modes exist
for different 'languages', and moreover, that there's more than
just the trinity of INSERT, EDIT and COMMAND-LINE.

The above post brought to you by the "Bureau of Dumb Jokes Made
Incomprehensible by Horrible Editing Department".

Hakusa

After researching Komodo, I found it's not free. The only funds I have
are a college fund, and I can't start diping into that until I'm going
to college. Any free AND good IDEs?

limodou

After researching Komodo, I found it's not free. The only funds I have
are a college fund, and I can't start diping into that until I'm going
to college. Any free AND good IDEs?
I think most of wxPython IDE are good. I prefer UliPad, because I'm
the author of it, you can find the link from my signature. It's cross
platform, and many features. It has not embed debuger in it now, so
you can use winpdb to debug your program. It support auco-complete in
editing and also provide a shell window also support auto-complete.
And the auco-complete in editing is more powerful.

Other good wxPython IDE should be SPE, drPython, PyPE, etc.

Gabriel Genellina

At said:
After researching Komodo, I found it's not free. The only funds I have
are a college fund, and I can't start diping into that until I'm going
to college. Any free AND good IDEs?

There is a list at http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
Or use Google Groups to search this group for "best IDE" - once a
month someone comes and ask that same question again and again so
you'll find plenty of responses...

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Correo Yahoo!

Ben Finney

After researching Komodo, I found it's not free. The only funds I
have are a college fund, and I can't start diping into that until
I'm going to college. Any free AND good IDEs?

Please consider trying Python with a powerful editor, instead of a
just-for-Python environment. Knowing a powerful editor is a far better
investment than a complex tool for a single purpose.

demian0311

What's your favorite IDE?
Vim
What do you like about it?
If you are a very good typist you can rock with Vim. Vi and variants
are on _every_ Unix system. It's highly configurable, syntax
highlighting, supports scripting with Python.
It would be fine for a begginer, right?
Not really, you'll be frustrated for about a week, you'll be productive
after that, from then on you'll keep on learning new things all the
time.

tom arnall

Ben said:
Please consider trying Python with a powerful editor, instead of a
just-for-Python environment. Knowing a powerful editor is a far better
investment than a complex tool for a single purpose.

Amen.

As an alternative to the IDE straight-jacket you might consider going the
unit-testing/'live code' route, which obviates the need for a debugger and
other clutter found in all of the IDEs i've seen. Also, you might think
about writing your own unit-tester. It's not difficult in python and will
give you a setup tailored to your own tastes. But whatever you do, keep
things simple and light.

Hakusa

That's surely an idea, but I'm not to that point yet. Right not I'm
struggling to understand a text adventure, and because I wanted to try
it my own at it (before using a tutorial), this has revieled I no
nothing about parsing or classes. Both are required to make an IDE I
believe.

As for UliPad . . . AWSOME! I love it, more than WinPy even . . . and I
can't get WinPy to work at the moment, but I think I just need to
reinstall Python2.5. Although customizing your syntax highlighting is a
little difficult. I think it's really cool, and is so far at the top of
my list, as I have yet to try Vim - maybe I'll try tomarrow.

Hakusa

Before that, I mentioned I was trying to make a text adventure, from
scratch to add more clarity.

BartlebyScrivener

Vim
You'll be frustrated for at least two weeks. But you'll use it forever
for everything from writing to programming, so who cares?

Auto completion is called omni completion in VIM

type ':h new-omni-completion' at the command line after two weeks of
frustration.

rd

Kenneth McDonald

With the most recent edition of PyDev, I find Eclipse works quite well
for me.

Ken