What's the best IDE?

Colin J. Williams

After researching Komodo, I found it's not free. The only funds I have
are a college fund, and I can't start diping into that until I'm going
to college. Any free AND good IDEs?
PyScripter has already been suggested. It is both of these.

Colin W.

Neil Cerutti

Warning: Vim isn't something you just "try tomorrow" :)

You can become proficient enough for basic editing in about 20
minutes with the built-in tutorial.

Getting it to work seemlessly with Python code will take
considerably longer.

Michael B. Trausch

Kenneth said:
With the most recent edition of PyDev, I find Eclipse works quite well
for me.

Since you mentioned it, I have a question that searching around and
poking around has not solved for me, yet.

Do you have auto-completion working with your setup? It does not seem
to work at all for me. I have read through the configuration help, and
there are no firewalls on my system at all, and everything else works
save for auto-completion, which I have had to disable. If left enabled,
even with low timeouts, I have to kill Eclipse and start it again. :-/

Other than that, I find that it is absolutely wonderful. I have used
Eclipse in the past for PHP based projects, and intend on using it for
Java projects in the future (my school has Java classes in its
curriculum instead of C classes... joy).

-- Mike

olive

Michael B. Trausch a écrit :
Since you mentioned it, I have a question that searching around and
poking around has not solved for me, yet.

Do you have auto-completion working with your setup? It does not seem
to work at all for me.

Did you try to set your PYTHONPATH properly with the same content in
both central AND project preferences ?

John Salerno

Neil said:
You can become proficient enough for basic editing in about 20
minutes with the built-in tutorial.

Getting it to work seemlessly with Python code will take
considerably longer.

Yeah, it was all the customizing that I could never figure out.

Michael B. Trausch

olive said:
Did you try to set your PYTHONPATH properly with the same content in
both central AND project preferences ?

Yep. Still does it. And the kicker is, that it does it with things
that it shouldn't have to wonder terribly much about -- classes that I
have custom-built, where it can easily find the available methods and
the like. *shrugs*

-- Mike

Stephen Eilert

BartlebyScrivener said:
You'll be frustrated for at least two weeks. But you'll use it forever
for everything from writing to programming, so who cares?

Auto completion is called omni completion in VIM

type ':h new-omni-completion' at the command line after two weeks of
frustration.

rd

As others said, you'll learn new stuff every day. I never knew about
this omni-completion thing until today, and I'm using VIM almost every
day.

Go figure.

Once you generate a tags file, navigation becomes easy. I never managed
to invoke Python inside VIM as a "compiler" tho. The fact that you can
create scripts for VIM in Python is also a plus.

Stephen

Harry George

John Salerno said:
Yeah, it was all the customizing that I could never figure out.

years ago this worked for people I was supporting:
set softtabstop=4 shiftwidth=4 expandtab

Personally, I'm an emacs guy, so I wouldn't know.

Ben Finney

Harry George said:
years ago this worked for people I was supporting:
set softtabstop=4 shiftwidth=4 expandtab

That's all I've ever needed vim to do with my Python code (apart from
the syntax highlighting, which works by default when I've tried it).
Personally, I'm an emacs guy, so I wouldn't know.

Should I start another thread about python-mode and how annoying it is?

Hakusa

What I mean was that it was late and I needed sleep. I'll work with
Vim, but it's not like I can spend a week learning it anyway, I don't
have that much time AND time to actualy program. And thanks all to have
posted suggestions and comments thus far.

Hakusa

I just meant that I was going to bed and didn't have time to do it the
same night. I'll see if I can make it work, use it forever . . . I'll
do it.

olive

Michael said:
Yep. Still does it.

I'm running PyDev 1.2.4 without completion problem so far.

Are you up to date ?

Maybe you should install the latest from scratch.

Michael B. Trausch

olive said:
I'm running PyDev 1.2.4 without completion problem so far.

Are you up to date ?

Maybe you should install the latest from scratch.

Yep, I am up to date. As I said, I am totally confused.

-- Mike

Adam Jones

Recently I've had some problems with PythonWin when I switched to
Py2.5, tooka long hiatus, and came back. So now I'm without my god sent
helper, and I'm looking for a cool replacement, or some advocation to
reinstall/setup PyWin. But the Python website's list is irrefutably
long. It would take a month or two to test all of those products. So
I'm looking for experienced advocates.

What's your favorite IDE?
emacs

What do you like about it?

It does just about everything. It can edit just about every kind of
code I use, read my mail, connection to irc ... everything. Well,
except order pizza, but I think it might be possible to make that
happen as well.
It would be fine for a begginer, right?

Probably not. I think you have to spend enough time with environments
that don't let you integrate everything into the editor before you can
really understand why people love emacs (and vi) so much.

-Adam

Tim Chase

What's your favorite IDE?
emacs

It does just about everything. It can edit just about every kind of
code I use, read my mail, connection to irc ... everything. Well,
except order pizza, but I think it might be possible to make that
happen as well.

Well, if it doesn't have it built in, you can always shell out to
use this program:

http://www.beigerecords.com/cory/pizza_party/

:)

-tkc

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte

emacs

(...)

Probably not. I think you have to spend enough time with environments

Actually, I've read similar things before and I don't quite get it. I
guess all of us are Emacs begginers the first time we try emacs.
Actually, I started using Emacs about 1 month after installing Linux;
what hooked me was the possibility of editing code AND submit it to an
inferior process, just like that (this I experienced first with R, but
of course you can do the same with Python) and using the same
environment for all of my editing and programming tasks.

R.

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Statistical Computing Team

Theerasak Photha

Actually, I've read similar things before and I don't quite get it. I
guess all of us are Emacs begginers the first time we try emacs.
Actually, I started using Emacs about 1 month after installing Linux;
what hooked me was the possibility of editing code AND submit it to an
inferior process, just like that (this I experienced first with R, but
of course you can do the same with Python) and using the same
environment for all of my editing and programming tasks.

I've used Emacs for a long time, but I think I might be going back to
Vim 7.0 now that they improved the scripting functionality with *real*
arrays and dicts. In some respects, this is now better than in Emacs,
where the hash functionality is...well...cumbersome at best.

Main reason would be that Vim is so much easier to customize and find
things in than Emacs. I long time ago, I actually submitted a bug
report for the perl plugin I hate to appeal to popularity, but Vim's
greater popularity also contributes to higher quality in a number of
cases: consider Ruby support for instance. Light years ahead of what
Emacs has.

vimshell is a (nearly) full-blown terminal emulator facility for Vim
http://www.wana.at/vimshell/

In any case, chok dee khrab (good luck with it).

-- Theerasak

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte

I've used Emacs for a long time, but I think I might be going back to
Vim 7.0 now that they improved the scripting functionality with *real*
arrays and dicts. In some respects, this is now better than in Emacs,
where the hash functionality is...well...cumbersome at best.

Main reason would be that Vim is so much easier to customize and find
things in than Emacs. I long time ago, I actually submitted a bug

Yes, I've read that, and I see that point. And that you can do
customization using Python. I've actually been tempted by Vim since I
read this

http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca/opinions/editors.html

(and Pinard is someone I do respect, and this is a very well argued document).
(...)
vimshell is a (nearly) full-blown terminal emulator facility for Vim
http://www.wana.at/vimshell/

Thanks for this link! It looks really interesting. I'll try to give it
a try ASAP.
One question, though: can you "send" a block of code to a Python shell
running in vimshell? (somehow like you can do in Emacs)?

R.