    is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
    capabilities?

    Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

    Charles Fox, Feb 21, 2005

  2. wrote in comp.lang.java.programmer:
    > Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
    > example of an open-source Java program that will do something
    > spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
    > is the best such example?

    Your job is not to try to convince them. Your job is to write good
    Java code that works well on all Java platforms. Why should you
    worry about them anyway? They're just trying to defend their most
    favourite language that lost some kind of an imaginary programming
    language popularity contest.

    Come to think of it, your job is not to write Java code. Your job
    is to learn several different languages and use the language that
    suits each problem best.

    > What's the best showcase for Java's true
    > capabilities?

    Something that works on all Java platforms.

    > Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

    A 3D game would definitely use a hardware acceleration (through a
    Java API). It would have nothing to do with the speed of execution
    of Java code. Most of the intensive computations would be done in
    the graphics card.

    --
    Antti S. Brax Rullalautailu pitää lapset poissa ladulta
    http://www.iki.fi/asb/ http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/abrax/hlb/

    Antti S. Brax, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Check the GBA emulator ported to Java whose name is BoycottAdvance, written
    by Gollum.

    "Charles Fox" <> ???
    news: ???...

    Vincent Cantin, Feb 22, 2005
  4. Charles Fox wrote:
    > Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
    > example of an open-source Java program that will do something
    > spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
    > is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
    > capabilities?

    You could look through all the stuff listed at

    http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/index.html

    It is a mixture of commercial and OSS programs. I think some of the
    latest issues had a free molecule modeler from some university, a 3D
    viewer for archaeological data or JDistro, a java desktop.

    But why do you want to waste your time arguing with people over
    languages? You will never "shut them all up". This is religion, not science.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Feb 22, 2005
  5. Charles Fox

    Tilman Bohn Guest

    In message <>,
    Charles Fox wrote on 21 Feb 2005 09:15:54 -0800:

    > Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
    > example of an open-source Java program that will do something
    > spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
    > is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
    > capabilities?

    I don't know that there is such a thing as `a' best example. Different
    constraints generate different metrics of showcase-worthiness.

    > Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

    I don't follow the gaming scene, however I've stumbled across this
    Quake2 port the other day, which might fit your bill:

    http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html
    http://www.bytonic.de/html/benchmarks.html

    Don't ask me whether it actually works, or if the benchmarks are real
    or realistic though. No idea.

    --
    Cheers, Tilman

    `Boy, life takes a long time to live...' -- Steven Wright

    Tilman Bohn, Feb 22, 2005
  6. Tilman Bohn wrote:
    > In message <>,
    > Charles Fox wrote on 21 Feb 2005 09:15:54 -0800:
    >

    >>Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
    >>example of an open-source Java program that will do something
    >>spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
    >>is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
    >>capabilities?

    > I don't know that there is such a thing as `a' best example. Different
    > constraints generate different metrics of showcase-worthiness.
    >

    >>Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

    > I don't follow the gaming scene, however I've stumbled across this
    > Quake2 port the other day, which might fit your bill:
    >
    > http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html
    > http://www.bytonic.de/html/benchmarks.html
    >
    > Don't ask me whether it actually works, or if the benchmarks are real
    > or realistic though. No idea.

    Or how about JALbum (http://jalbum.net/)? A 'real' app which is fast,
    functional and a good advert for what Java can do on the desktop.

    Pan
    TechBookReport Java: http://wwe.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

    TechBookReport, Feb 22, 2005
  7. Charles Fox wrote:
    > Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
    > example of an open-source Java program that will do something
    > spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
    > is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
    > capabilities?
    >
    > Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

    Not open source, but a pretty nice example for a great 3D game (partly)
    written in Java (ok, I admit it uses OpenGL for the graphics, but no one
    renders graphics in software these days ;) ).

    --
    Regards,
    Karsten

    Karsten Baumgarten, Feb 23, 2005
  8. Karsten Baumgarten wrote:

    > Not open source, but a pretty nice example for a great 3D game (partly)
    > written in Java (ok, I admit it uses OpenGL for the graphics, but no one
    > renders graphics in software these days ;) ).

    Well, I guess I forgot the important part. :)

    The game is called Chrome.

    --
    Regards,
    Karsten

    Karsten Baumgarten, Feb 23, 2005
  9. Charles Fox

    Bob Guest

    Tilman Bohn wrote:

    > I don't follow the gaming scene, however I've stumbled across this
    > Quake2 port the other day, which might fit your bill:
    >
    > http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html
    > http://www.bytonic.de/html/benchmarks.html
    >
    > Don't ask me whether it actually works, or if the benchmarks are real
    > or realistic though. No idea.

    I had no idea Java could run such a built-up gaming app, let alone run
    it that fast. I must have been getting at least a hundred frames per second.

    Admittedly, Quake II is not what anyone would call cutting-edge (not
    since about 1998), but with all the talk of Java being sluggish, I
    figured anything full-scene would drag like a corpse being towed.

    Whether or not this implementation is cross-platform, I don't know (I
    was using this through WebStart in WinXP). That would be the important
    thing to know.
    --
    Bob

    Bob, Feb 23, 2005