What's the best showcase for Java speed? eg. a 3D game?

Charles Fox

Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
example of an open-source Java program that will do something
spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
capabilities?

Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

Antti S. Brax

Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
example of an open-source Java program that will do something
spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
is the best such example?

Your job is not to try to convince them. Your job is to write good
Java code that works well on all Java platforms. Why should you
worry about them anyway? They're just trying to defend their most
favourite language that lost some kind of an imaginary programming
language popularity contest.

Come to think of it, your job is not to write Java code. Your job
is to learn several different languages and use the language that
suits each problem best.
What's the best showcase for Java's true
capabilities?

Something that works on all Java platforms.
Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

A 3D game would definitely use a hardware acceleration (through a
Java API). It would have nothing to do with the speed of execution
of Java code. Most of the intensive computations would be done in
the graphics card.

Vincent Cantin

Check the GBA emulator ported to Java whose name is BoycottAdvance, written
by Gollum.

Thomas Weidenfeller

Charles said:
Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
example of an open-source Java program that will do something
spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
capabilities?

You could look through all the stuff listed at

http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/sightings/index.html

It is a mixture of commercial and OSS programs. I think some of the
latest issues had a free molecule modeler from some university, a 3D
viewer for archaeological data or JDistro, a java desktop.

But why do you want to waste your time arguing with people over
languages? You will never "shut them all up". This is religion, not science.

/Thomas

Tilman Bohn

Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
example of an open-source Java program that will do something
spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
capabilities?

I don't know that there is such a thing as `a' best example. Different
constraints generate different metrics of showcase-worthiness.
Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

I don't follow the gaming scene, however I've stumbled across this
Quake2 port the other day, which might fit your bill:

http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html
http://www.bytonic.de/html/benchmarks.html

Don't ask me whether it actually works, or if the benchmarks are real
or realistic though. No idea.

TechBookReport

Tilman said:
In message <[email protected]>,
Charles Fox wrote on 21 Feb 2005 09:15:54 -0800:

I don't know that there is such a thing as `a' best example. Different
constraints generate different metrics of showcase-worthiness.

I don't follow the gaming scene, however I've stumbled across this
Quake2 port the other day, which might fit your bill:

http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html
http://www.bytonic.de/html/benchmarks.html

Don't ask me whether it actually works, or if the benchmarks are real
or realistic though. No idea.
Or how about JALbum (http://jalbum.net/)? A 'real' app which is fast,
functional and a good advert for what Java can do on the desktop.

Pan
TechBookReport Java: http://wwe.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html

Karsten Baumgarten

Charles said:
Tired of all the 'Java is slow' detractors, I would like to see an
example of an open-source Java program that will do something
spectacular and fast in order to shut them all up. What do you think
is the best such example? What's the best showcase for Java's true
capabilities?

Some kind of compiled, 3D game would probably be good?

Not open source, but a pretty nice example for a great 3D game (partly)
written in Java (ok, I admit it uses OpenGL for the graphics, but no one
renders graphics in software these days ;) ).

Karsten Baumgarten

Karsten said:
Not open source, but a pretty nice example for a great 3D game (partly)
written in Java (ok, I admit it uses OpenGL for the graphics, but no one
renders graphics in software these days ;) ).

Well, I guess I forgot the important part. :)

The game is called Chrome.

Bob

Tilman said:
I don't follow the gaming scene, however I've stumbled across this
Quake2 port the other day, which might fit your bill:

http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html
http://www.bytonic.de/html/benchmarks.html

Don't ask me whether it actually works, or if the benchmarks are real
or realistic though. No idea.

I had no idea Java could run such a built-up gaming app, let alone run
it that fast. I must have been getting at least a hundred frames per second.

Admittedly, Quake II is not what anyone would call cutting-edge (not
since about 1998), but with all the talk of Java being sluggish, I
figured anything full-scene would drag like a corpse being towed.

Whether or not this implementation is cross-platform, I don't know (I
was using this through WebStart in WinXP). That would be the important
thing to know.