    and recommend us the most powerful of them?

    --
    ..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.

    Hongyi Zhao, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Hongyi Zhao

    rf Guest

    Hongyi Zhao wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
    > for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
    > comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
    > and recommend us the most powerful of them?

    That would be a lot of work :)

    rf, Feb 27, 2009

  3. Hongyi Zhao

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:47:00 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
    >for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
    >comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
    >and recommend us the most powerful of them?

    Notepad.
    It never tells you you can't do this or that.

    richard, Feb 27, 2009
  4. On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:45:14 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:47:00 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
    >>for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
    >>comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
    >>and recommend us the most powerful of them?

    >Notepad.
    >It never tells you you can't do this or that.

    For me, it's Notepad++ because he is able to do a replace string on a
    group of files. Pretty usefull when you want a same change on all
    pages of your website. (Anyway, i used more often PFE)

    Raymond Schmit, Feb 27, 2009
  5. Hongyi Zhao

    Joy Beeson Guest

    PC-Write.

    --
    Joy Beeson
    joy beeson at comcast dot net

    Joy Beeson, Feb 28, 2009
  6. Hongyi Zhao

    Ari Heino Guest

    wayne kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > gedit color formats your text when a file has an
    > html extension.

    Which every reasonable text editor does. For zillion of languages.
    Clip libraries are handy. You can download them to TextPad at least. You
    can double click a text clip from the library and it will paste into
    your code. Css clip libraries with all possible attributes are
    especially nice.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, Feb 28, 2009
  7. Ari Heino wrote:
    > wayne kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    >> gedit color formats your text when a file has an html extension.

    > Which every reasonable text editor does. For zillion of languages.
    > Clip libraries are handy. You can download them to TextPad at least. You
    > can double click a text clip from the library and it will paste into
    > your code. Css clip libraries with all possible attributes are
    > especially nice.

    TextPad and EditPlus ( http://www.editplus.com/index.html ) are very
    similar; both have a great feature called Clip Libraries (EditPlus
    terminology) that work much the same way and are equally easy to create.

    Clip Libraries are composed of clips of text that appear in a panel to
    the left of the main editor window. Clips can be for any purpose you
    choose; I have one called "normal.html" which is a pun on Microsoft
    Word's "normal.doc" and which I use for all my word processing needs (I
    create HTML documents rather than proprietary file formats). The
    following is an excerpt from "normal.html":

    #T=Non-breaking space
    &nbsp;
    #T=… Ellipses
    &hellip;
    #T=Comment
    <!-- ^! -->
    #T=Paragraph
    #T=Line break
    #T=Heading 1
    <h1>^!</h1>
    #T=Horizontal Rule
    <hr>
    #T=Page break (before)
    style="page-break-before: always;"
    #T=Ordered list
    <ol>
    <li>^!</li>
    <li></li>
    </ol>

    #T= is a clip heading; double clicking on a clip heading inserts the
    following text into the editor window at the current cursor position.

    ^! is the cursor position AFTER the clip has been inserted.

    Clip Libraries make HTML and CSS coding very productive. I also use
    Clip Libraries for Python, PHP and ooRexx coding.

    These are VERY GOOD text editors (but they are not free).

    Regards,
    Peter
    --
    *Peter Anderson*
    There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to

    Peter Anderson, Feb 28, 2009
  8. Hongyi Zhao

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:31:09 GMT, (Raymond
    Schmit) wrote:

    >On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:45:14 -0500, richard <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:47:00 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>
    >>>AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
    >>>for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
    >>>comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
    >>>and recommend us the most powerful of them?

    >>Notepad.
    >>It never tells you you can't do this or that.

    >For me, it's Notepad++ because he is able to do a replace string on a
    >group of files. Pretty usefull when you want a same change on all
    >pages of your website. (Anyway, i used more often PFE)

    Notetab can do the same thing.

    richard, Feb 28, 2009
  9. Hongyi Zhao

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:31:09 GMT, (Raymond
    > Schmit) wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:45:14 -0500, richard <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Notepad.
    >>>It never tells you you can't do this or that.

    >>For me, it's Notepad++ because he is able to do a replace string on a
    >>group of files. Pretty usefull when you want a same change on all
    >>pages of your website. (Anyway, i used more often PFE)

    > Notetab can do the same thing.

    But Notepad++ is just so much nicer to use

    Nik Coughlin, Feb 28, 2009
  10. Hongyi Zhao

    David Segall Guest

    Hongyi Zhao <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
    >for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
    >comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
    >and recommend us the most powerful of them?

    No one can do that. First there is a problem with defining an HTML
    editor. There are contributors to this group who believe that any text
    editor is an HTML editor.

    Others, like me, believe that an HTML editor should "understand" HTML
    and CSS and present different views of a page on demand. That is, they
    should allow you to alter the code in the code view, add or change
    visual elements in the WYSIWYG view and add or change properties in
    the CSS view.

    Between those are the editors that can just colour code the source or
    guess what elements you might want next and provide an explanation of
    what the element does.

    Even if you manage to define an "HTML editor" no one can use the
    latest version of all the qualified candidates in order to provide you
    with the "most powerful". I have often thought that a suitably
    structured Wiki that includes a comparative list of features would a
    valuable tool.

    Oh, and the answer to your underlying question is Dreamweaver :)

    David Segall, Feb 28, 2009
  11. Hongyi Zhao

    Ari Heino Guest

    Peter Anderson kirjoitti seuraavasti:
    > TextPad and EditPlus ( http://www.editplus.com/index.html ) are very
    > similar;

    > These are VERY GOOD text editors (but they are not free).

    You can still use at least TextPad for free. It reminds you politely
    that you're welcome to try the program before you buy it blah blah blah.

    --
    Ari
    http://users.utu.fi/athein/

    Ari Heino, Feb 28, 2009
  12. Hongyi Zhao

    Tim Greer Guest

    Hongyi Zhao wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > AFAIK, there're many html editors: BestAddress HTML Editor, HTML-mode
    > for Emacs, visual studio, and so on. Could someone please take a
    > comparison among all of the available html editors for web developer
    > and recommend us the most powerful of them?

    I've used some HTML editors way back, but even back in the early 90s
    when I was first doing HTML pages, and as these editors came along, I
    always didn't like what they were doing and inevitably ended up using
    Notepad on Windows (if I was using Windows) or something like vi in
    Linux or FreeBSD. I suppose the question depends on what features you
    want in an editor, but nothing is more powerful than an editor that
    won't force or restrict what you do.

    I don't think any HTML editing program that's made specifically for this
    (FP, DW, etc.) will ever have all of the current tags and emements and
    formatting you'd maybe want to use, so you want to use something
    without any limits or something that likely tries to insert or create
    the HTML for you. So, I'd use vi or vim, or emacs, or nano/pico, or
    joe/jed or somethig like that. Some og these are ran in the command
    line, but some will run on the GUI and run on all types of platforms
    (like Vim does).

    So, for the most portable that I'm personally aware of, I'd suggest Vim.

    http://www.vim.org/

    Tim Greer, Feb 28, 2009
  13. On 2009-02-28, Tim Greer wrote:
    > So, for the most portable that I'm personally aware of, I'd suggest Vim.

    GNU emacs will also run on most platforms, and is much more
    friendly than vim.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Feb 28, 2009
  14. Hongyi Zhao

    Tim Greer Guest

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

    > On 2009-02-28, Tim Greer wrote:
    >> So, for the most portable that I'm personally aware of, I'd suggest
    >> Vim.

    > GNU emacs will also run on most platforms, and is much more
    > friendly than vim.

    Sure, emacs is a good choice, too. I prefer vi or vim over emacs, but
    it's probably just because I use it so much more.

    Tim Greer, Feb 28, 2009