what's the point of pow()?

richyjsm

it's a serious question: why does the builtin pow function exist?

for two argument pow we've got **. there's no add() for + or mul()
for *....

and three argument pow-with-modulo seems like specilaist usage that
belongs in the standard lib, not in the core. I know about crypto and
number theory uses. are there others?

it's obviously useful for something or else it would be slated for
removal in python 3000, surely?

Richard

Paul Rubin

it's a serious question: why does the builtin pow function exist?
for two argument pow we've got **. there's no add() for + or mul()
for *....

They are in the operator module and maybe pow could go there too.

Actually there's a math.pow function that works differently from
the builtin function. Some cleanup might be in order.