    subject.

    Thanks,
    Micru

    Micru, May 29, 2004

  2. Micru wrote:

    > I've some questions about the profile required
    > by the industry to the programmers.

    Most of the industrial users of VHDL are electronic engineers.
    VHDL is a digital hardware description and simulation language.
    It is not used as a general programming language and many
    of it's users don't consider themselves "programmers".

    > What is mostly required besides of the knowledge of the language?

    Digital electronics.
    Gates, flops, counters, shifters, ram,
    rom, schematics, netlists, circuit boards.
    That sort of thing.

    > Discrete control of signals?

    Lots of that.

    > Algorithm implementation?

    Some of that.

    > Fuzzy logic?

    Not required.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, May 29, 2004

  3. (Micru) wrote:
    > Nowadays I'm the last course of Technical Industrial Engineer in
    > Electronic Engineering (in Spain), and I'd like to enter in the VHDL
    > programming world. But I've some questions about the profile required
    > by the industry to the programmers. What is mostly required besides of
    > the knowledge of the language? Discrete control of signals? Algorithm
    > implementation? Fuzzy logic?

    It depends strongly on the company you end up and the actual job you
    got there.
    It is no failure to be able to do a whole system from system
    specification, algorithm research and pcb design to fpga design.
    Although it isn't very likely that one person does all that work.

    There are lot jobs (especially when doing comlex fpgas) where you have
    a given specification by someone else and tests done by someone other
    in your company, so you will never see the system runing (more likely
    to see the system if it isn't running :).

    Maybe you should learn about
    - designflow automatisation with perl, tcl/tk, sh,...
    - design for reusabillity / corebased design
    - teamwork
    - work documenting
    - time management

    bye Thomas

    Thomas Stanka, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Micru

    Micru Guest

    > Thomas Stanka wrote:
    >
    > Maybe you should learn about
    > - designflow automatisation with perl, tcl/tk, sh,...

    I could learn Perl by my own but, what relation have it with the
    design automation?

    > - design for reusabillity / corebased design
    > - work documenting

    No idea where can I learn about that...
    Maybe I look for a tutorial in the net.

    > - teamwork
    > - time management

    I've found a 20 hours course about time management for 117 eur in
    September, so I have four months for get the money :)
    Don't should be difficult found another course about teamwork. I'll be
    searching for.

    Thanks for your advices.
    Micru

    Micru, Jun 3, 2004