What's the VHDL programmer's profile?

Micru

Hi all,

Nowadays I'm the last course of Technical Industrial Engineer in
Electronic Engineering (in Spain), and I'd like to enter in the VHDL
programming world. But I've some questions about the profile required
by the industry to the programmers. What is mostly required besides of
the knowledge of the language? Discrete control of signals? Algorithm
implementation? Fuzzy logic?

I ask this because I'll take a year more for learn some interesant
subject.

Thanks,
Micru

Mike Treseler

Micru said:
I've some questions about the profile required
by the industry to the programmers.

Most of the industrial users of VHDL are electronic engineers.
VHDL is a digital hardware description and simulation language.
It is not used as a general programming language and many
of it's users don't consider themselves "programmers".
What is mostly required besides of the knowledge of the language?

Digital electronics.
Gates, flops, counters, shifters, ram,
rom, schematics, netlists, circuit boards.
That sort of thing.
Discrete control of signals?
Lots of that.
Algorithm implementation?
Some of that.
Fuzzy logic?
Not required.

-- Mike Treseler

Thomas Stanka

Nowadays I'm the last course of Technical Industrial Engineer in
Electronic Engineering (in Spain), and I'd like to enter in the VHDL
programming world. But I've some questions about the profile required
by the industry to the programmers. What is mostly required besides of
the knowledge of the language? Discrete control of signals? Algorithm
implementation? Fuzzy logic?

It depends strongly on the company you end up and the actual job you
got there.
It is no failure to be able to do a whole system from system
specification, algorithm research and pcb design to fpga design.
Although it isn't very likely that one person does all that work.

There are lot jobs (especially when doing comlex fpgas) where you have
a given specification by someone else and tests done by someone other
in your company, so you will never see the system runing (more likely
to see the system if it isn't running :).

Maybe you should learn about
- designflow automatisation with perl, tcl/tk, sh,...
- design for reusabillity / corebased design
- teamwork
- work documenting
- time management

bye Thomas

Micru

Thomas said:
Maybe you should learn about
- designflow automatisation with perl, tcl/tk, sh,...

I could learn Perl by my own but, what relation have it with the
design automation?
- design for reusabillity / corebased design
- work documenting

No idea where can I learn about that...
Maybe I look for a tutorial in the net.
- teamwork
- time management

I've found a 20 hours course about time management for 117 eur in
September, so I have four months for get the money :)
Don't should be difficult found another course about teamwork. I'll be
searching for.

Thanks for your advices.
Micru