Where is "official", not Microsoft, spec for javascrpt, etc.?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Howard Kaikow, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. I know where to find the spec for ECMAScript and the Document Object Model,
    but where do I find the spec for, e.g.?

    alert
    location.href
    --
    http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
     
    Howard Kaikow, Oct 11, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Howard Kaikow

    Jim Ley Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:46:43 -0400, "Howard Kaikow"
    <> wrote:

    >I know where to find the spec for ECMAScript and the Document Object Model,
    >but where do I find the spec for, e.g.?
    >
    >alert
    >location.href


    There isn't one...

    Jim.
     
    Jim Ley, Oct 11, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Howard Kaikow

    Jim Ley Guest

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:12:43 GMT, Alex Kizub <> wrote:

    >Jim Ley wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:46:43 -0400, "Howard Kaikow"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I know where to find the spec for ECMAScript and the Document Object Model,
    >> >but where do I find the spec for, e.g.?
    >> >
    >> >alert
    >> >location.href

    >>
    >> There isn't one...


    >Probably you don't need them.


    Those two were Netscape inventions, and IE made the sensible choice of
    following them.

    The Window object model has never been standardised (the concept of a
    window not actually existing in Document Object Models) The SVG WG
    recognised that standardisation was useful, and have controversially
    started down the route of doing so (the existence of a UA where the
    global object wasn't called window probably convinced them of the
    need!)

    The WHAT-WG (if they're still alive posting seems to have ceased) are
    also working on standardising this.

    Both efforts at standardisation though are purely ratifying the
    existing de-facto standards (which are tough of course - what do you
    do when there's minor differences in the implementations?)

    >And this MS JScript is not JavaScript at all.


    Hmm, that's misleading.

    >So you have two choices - loose 90% of users or follow M$ :(((


    No, not at all, you certainly can't ignore JScript, but you can easily
    author script that works fine in lots of browsers without any special
    work.

    Jim.
     
    Jim Ley, Oct 12, 2004
    #3
  4. Howard Kaikow

    RobG Guest

    Alex Kizub wrote:

    > Probably you don't need them.
    > Probably you want your script to run in IE. Because it's at least 90% of market
    > :(((
    > And this MS JScript is not JavaScript at all.
    > So you have two choices - loose 90% of users or follow M$ :(((


    Rubbish!! You can write platform independent code that
    runs in the majority of browsers quite easily. Microsoft
    did zero to help create the web, though their support for
    standards has, to some extent, helped it to grow. I can
    see no benefit in writing IE specific code simply to
    because MS has a large chunk of the browser market.

    Rob.
     
    RobG, Oct 12, 2004
    #4
  5. RobG wrote:

    > Alex Kizub wrote:
    >
    >> Probably you don't need them.
    >> Probably you want your script to run in IE. Because it's at least 90%
    >> of market
    >> :(((
    >> And this MS JScript is not JavaScript at all.
    >> So you have two choices - loose 90% of users or follow M$ :(((

    >
    > Rubbish!! You can write platform independent code that
    > runs in the majority of browsers quite easily. Microsoft
    > did zero to help create the web, though their support for
    > standards has, to some extent, helped it to grow. I can
    > see no benefit in writing IE specific code simply to
    > because MS has a large chunk of the browser market.


    Moreover, if you're writing pages that require a dialect of ECMAScript
    to be enabled in order to function, then you already have a problem,
    before you get to browser-specific issues.

    The only possible exception is if the automated process is the whole
    purpose of the page/site (e.g. a JavaScript games site), rather than
    simply being used for a site's UI.

    Stewart.
     
    Stewart Gordon, Oct 12, 2004
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rob Meade
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    319
    Eliyahu Goldin
    Mar 18, 2007
  2. =?Utf-8?B?ZXJpYw==?=

    Javascrpt and User Controls. Help!

    =?Utf-8?B?ZXJpYw==?=, Nov 8, 2007, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    427
    Kevin Spencer
    Nov 9, 2007
  3. Andrew Chen
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    227
    David Chelimsky
    Mar 25, 2008
  4. Grzegorz ¦lusarek

    javascrpt IDE

    Grzegorz ¦lusarek, May 11, 2006, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    113
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
    May 20, 2006
  5. globalrev

    insert javascrpt into textarea?

    globalrev, May 11, 2008, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    238
    Dr J R Stockton
    May 12, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page