Where might I find a 'newer' DBI.pm (source) file?

David H. Cook

I've written perl code, and the file-type I've always created is ".pl".

But, I recently became aware that there are (source) files with the
extension
of ".pm". I encountered them this week when I downloaded, installed
and
configured a web application written entirely in Perl (CGI). When I
installed/configured it, it has its OWN copies of a whole series of
".pm"
files. But, when I run is configuration 'test' routine (to check
whether everything
is installed/configured and ready, I get an indication that one of
those
".pm" files is out-of-date...i.e. of too low a version number to
satisfy
their 'test' script.

So, my question is: What website do I go to,. to download NEWER
versions
of the needed ".pm" file? (If it matters, the only one I seem to need
is DBI.pm)

(Or, maybe I do NOT need to go outside to DOWNLOAD newer .pm files!?
Maybe my separate perl software (e.g. ActiveState Perl) contains these
source
..pm files, but just packaged inside some 'container' library or
whatever, and
that maybe I could (somehow) just extract newer version of DBI.pm from
there?)

TIA...

Dave

Owen

David said:
I've written perl code, and the file-type I've always created is ".pl".

That's OK, an accepted custom to identify a script as being written in
Perl.

But, I recently became aware that there are (source) files with the
extension
of ".pm". I encountered them this week when I downloaded, installed
and

think of "pl" as a Perl Library and "pm"as a Perl Module which it
really is.

So, my question is: What website do I go to,. to download NEWER
versions
of the needed ".pm" file? (If it matters, the only one I seem to need
is DBI.pm)

http://search.cpan.org and place dbi in the search box

You might want to read up on CPAN

Xemoth

Tad McClellan

David H. Cook said:
I've written perl code, and the file-type I've always created is ".pl".

That won't work.

Perl programs need to be a "text file" file-type.

(a filename extension is not the same as a file type.)

But, I recently became aware that there are (source) files with the
extension
of ".pm".

It stands for "Perl Module" (ie. a library).

I get an indication that one of
those
".pm" files is out-of-date...i.e. of too low a version number to
satisfy
their 'test' script.

So, my question is: What website do I go to,. to download NEWER
versions
of the needed ".pm" file? (If it matters, the only one I seem to need
is DBI.pm)

perldoc -q module

What modules and extensions are available for Perl? What is CPAN?
What does CPAN/src/... mean?

How do I install a module from CPAN?

How do I keep my own module/library directory?

Maybe my separate perl software (e.g. ActiveState Perl) contains these
source
.pm files, but just packaged inside some 'container' library or
whatever, and
that maybe I could (somehow) just extract newer version of DBI.pm from
there?)

http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/

If you need the DBI module, then you will also need the DBD module
that corresponds to the database that you plan to use.

David H. Cook

Yes, ok, I went to 'CPAN' and entered 'DBI' in the search box
and yes, I looked all around.

I THINK I want the 'pure-perl' (which they seem to say is for people
LIKE ME), who
do NOT want the 'binary' form of DBI. But the ONLY option they seem to
offer is to
download it in a ".TAR.GZ", which would be FINE for Linux, but is NOT
ideal for Windows.

I'm running ACTIVE-STATE perl on Windows-XP Pro.
(I should have mentioned that earlier.)

One would THINK that CPAN would offer a .ZIP form (like most other
download sites do).
But, I saw no signs of that.

[Yeah, I KNOW I can go download and install a "TAR" equivalent for
Windows, and
a "GZ" unpacker or whatever for Windows.]

Is that my only solution, or did I just miss something on the CPAN
site?

TIA...

Dave

Dr.Ruud

David H. Cook schreef:
I'm running ACTIVE-STATE perl on Windows-XP Pro.
(I should have mentioned that earlier.)

Then you will also have a menu entry called "Perl Package Manager".
(Start / Programs / ActivePerl / ... )

Or do: Start / Run / ppm [Enter]

On the ppm-prompt, type help.

David H. Cook

Ok, YES, that HELPED.

With my Windows ACTIVE-STATE perl, there indeed
IS a 'package-manager'.

So, I launched it and told it to:
install DBI
and it did so.

But, now as I move further along, my 'acceptance-test'
checker goes further, but then flags that my perl is
missing a package called
DBD::mysql

So, I go back into my NEWFOUND package-manager and say:
install DBD::mysql

Sigh...this time, no luck. Package manager comes back with:
'Searching for DBD::mysql returned no results. Try a broader search
first'

Of course, THIS NEWBIE had NO CLUE what a broader-search means
or how to proceed.

Can someone please guide me thru THIS next issue??

TIA...

Dave [sigh...it always gets harder, just when you think you've solved
it.]

Bart Lateur

David said:
Yes, ok, I went to 'CPAN' and entered 'DBI' in the search box
and yes, I looked all around.

I THINK I want the 'pure-perl' (which they seem to say is for people
LIKE ME), who

No you don't.
do NOT want the 'binary' form of DBI. But the ONLY option they seem to
offer is to
download it in a ".TAR.GZ", which would be FINE for Linux, but is NOT
ideal for Windows.

It isn't, but Perl can handle it by itself. But, more about that later.
I'm running ACTIVE-STATE perl on Windows-XP Pro.
(I should have mentioned that earlier.)

Well, you'd best forget about getting it from CPAN and best get a
precompiled binary, using PPM. That's a module package installation
manager (in the form of a Perl script wrapped in a .BAT file), which can
do your work for you. Try typing "PPM" is a DOS window, (or at the
"run..." prompt in the start menu), which will open its own shell.

There, type "install DBI" and let it fetch the file for you, and install
it.

You may have to add a repository to actually have it find a modern
version. See <http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/module/DBI>, at the bottom, the
most recent versions are available on the
<http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/> repository. To add the repositiory,
type

rep add theoryx5 http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/

at the PPM prompt, and then try to install it.

And I hope you don't have proxy problems...