Where to begin with Perl 6

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by John Bokma, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    I want to read up a bit on Perl 6, but have no real idea where to start.

    I mean: I am interested in two things: Parrot, and Perl 6 syntax (what
    is new). So basically less in the how and why things in Perl 6 are going
    to be as they are going to be (I doubt that I can change any of those,
    if I wanted to or even could).

    I understand that for Parrot there is a low level assembly language, and
    a bit higher language on top of that. Since I want a firm understanding
    of the inner parts (I might want to contribute, but probably am not able
    to) I was thinking to start with studying Parrot.

    OTOH I am very curious what new things are going to be added, etc. to
    Perl 6, i.e. how Perl 6 code looks.

    For experimentation I understand I can download Parrot.

    Also, I understand that there is a Perl6 that runs on HUGS (IIRC)? Is
    this the most "complete" Perl6, or are there alternatives (I have some
    experience with functional programming, Miranda/Gofer, but that's over
    10 years ago). And I read that one can add some Perl6 to Perl5 using
    modules on CPAN, but that it's not a prefered way.

    Thanks for the info.

    (
    Without trying to sound presumptuous [1]:

    Somehow related: are/is there a more advanced Perl forum. I do learn
    from quite a number of people here, even though I have been using Perl
    for quite some time, but there are quite a number of easy questions
    that don't add much for me. The moderated group has very very little
    traffic.

    I will continue reading/contributing to clpm, but also need more
    brainfood :-D.
    )

    [1] If that's the right word.

    John Bokma, Sep 5, 2005

  2. John Bokma wrote:

    > (
    > Without trying to sound presumptuous [1]:
    >
    > Somehow related: are/is there a more advanced Perl forum. I do learn
    > from quite a number of people here, even though I have been using Perl
    > for quite some time, but there are quite a number of easy questions
    > that don't add much for me. The moderated group has very very little
    > traffic.
    >
    > I will continue reading/contributing to clpm, but also need more
    > brainfood :-D.
    > )
    >
    > [1] If that's the right word.

    you could try the groups on the newserver at nntp.perl.org .

    Also

    http://www.perlmonks.org

    cheers,

    Mark
    Mark Clements, Sep 5, 2005

  3. John Bokma

    Sisyphus Guest

    "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    > I want to read up a bit on Perl 6, but have no real idea where to start.
    >
    > I mean: I am interested in two things: Parrot, and Perl 6 syntax (what
    > is new).

    If you're interested in perl 6 syntax, there are a number of modules that
    you allow you to run various perl6 features on perl 5. See:

    http://search.cpan.org/search?query=perl6&mode=dist

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Sep 5, 2005
  4. John Bokma

    John Bokma Guest

    "Sisyphus" <> wrote:

    > "John Bokma" <> wrote in message
    >> I want to read up a bit on Perl 6, but have no real idea where to start.
    >>
    >> I mean: I am interested in two things: Parrot, and Perl 6 syntax (what
    >> is new).

    > If you're interested in perl 6 syntax, there are a number of modules that
    > you allow you to run various perl6 features on perl 5. See:

    "And I read that one can add some Perl6 to Perl5 using
    modules on CPAN, but that it's not a prefered way."

    I recall to have read recently that this method had some disadvantages.
    Can't remember exactly what (something like mixing Perl5 and Perl6?)

    John Bokma, Sep 5, 2005