    Thanks,
    xian
    , Apr 10, 2006

  2. * :
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there any complete online C++ (and also C) reference that describes
    > all header files and the functions/definitions available in the header
    > files?

    Many.

    If this isn't a FAQ item yet, it probably should be.

    Probably the best online one is Dinkumware's, but if you're willing to
    take the risk of mistaking Microsoft features for standard C++ library
    features, there's also the online version of MSDN Library.

    > I found out some header files such as <cstddef> and <climits>
    > have some useful definitions. However, until I saw the code, I wasn't
    > even aware of their existence. Therefore, I'm hoping there's some kind
    > of reference (like what Sun has for Java) so that I can find out if
    > there's some useful function.

    The ultimate reference is of course the /C++ standard/, but that's not
    legally available online.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
    Alf P. Steinbach, Apr 10, 2006

    Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
    > * :
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Is there any complete online C++ (and also C) reference that describes
    > > all header files and the functions/definitions available in the header
    > > files?

    > The ultimate reference is of course the /C++ standard/, but that's not
    > legally available online.

    Not for free, anyway, but you can buy&download it online. To be
    complete, you
    of course have to buy the C standard as well, but that too can be
    bought online.
    IIRC, they're both $18 - see the FAQ.

    HTH,
    Michiel Salters
    , Apr 10, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there any complete online C++ (and also C) reference that describes
    > all header files and the functions/definitions available in the header
    > files?

    This is quite good:
    http://www.cppreference.com/index.html
    It's organised by functional area rather than by header file, but you
    should find it useful.
    tragomaskhalos, Apr 10, 2006
  5. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Not for free, anyway, but you can buy&download it online. To be
    > complete, you
    > of course have to buy the C standard as well, but that too can be
    > bought online.
    > IIRC, they're both $18 - see the FAQ.

    It seems to me that someone who pokes fun at someone for thinking "real"
    means "actual" should realize that they are *each* $18.
    osmium, Apr 10, 2006

    Thanks for all the replies! I'm actually quite surprised that there's
    no standard agency like Sun who puts library references online. This
    would make it a lot easier to distribute any update information.

    xian
    , Apr 10, 2006
  7. osmium Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Thanks for all the replies! I'm actually quite surprised that there's
    > no standard agency like Sun who puts library references online. This
    > would make it a lot easier to distribute any update information.

    In that case, perhaps this is what you are looking for.

    http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/
    osmium, Apr 10, 2006

    Thanks for the message, it is a good reference site, thanks!

    xian
    , Apr 12, 2006