    Free washing machine help and advice.

    www.washerhelp.co.uk

    www.xyzed.co.uk/newsgroups/top-posting.html
    xyZed, Feb 28, 2006

  2. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    There is circumstantial evidence that on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:38:39
    GMT, xyZed <> wrote

    >› I would be very grateful if I could be recommended an industry standard or accepted
    >› link checker.

    Would I be right in thinking that some link checkers just check that a
    link actually goes somewhere and better ones can detect if the page
    linked to has changed in any way? The latter I would think is
    essential.

    xyZed, Feb 28, 2006

  3. xyZed

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <>,
    xyZed <> wrote:

    > I've realised a link checker is pretty essential, but are there other
    > essential tools for maintaining a html web site? Also, I would be very
    > grateful if I could be recommended an industry standard or accepted
    > link checker. There are a ridiculous amount available from freeware to
    > "professional" and I can't trust the sites own spiel.

    I'd say the only ESSENTIAL tools are:

    A text editor to build the pages,
    A ftp program to upload the pages,
    A web browser to test the pages,

    Other nearly essential tools for me are:
    A graphics editor to build and optimise graphical elements
    Lots more web-browsers to fully test the pages

    There are then numerous useful online tools that are nice but by no
    means essential such as:
    Link checkers (can't say I've really used these)
    HTML validators
    CSS validators
    Accessibility testers
    and so on.

    Probably my favourite development tool that is non-essential (although I
    couldn't live without it now) is the web-developer plug-in for Firefox
    which contains all of the above non-essential tools and much much more.

    Al.

    --
    Alan Cole. E-mail: justal at lineone dot net
    http://www.forces-of-nature.co.uk [Coastal Sports]
    Alan Cole, Feb 28, 2006
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed xyZed <> writing in

    I like the checker at W3 <http://validator.w3.org/checklink>, and Xenu is
    also very good <http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html>. Both are free.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 28, 2006
  5. xyZed

    Toby Inkster Guest

    xyZed wrote:

    > I've realised a link checker is pretty essential, but are there other
    > essential tools for maintaining a html web site?

    I rarely find I need anything more than:

    - The Opera Browser <http://www.opera.com/>
    - W3-dev Menu <http://tobyinkster.co.uk/opera>
    - Nedit, for editing <http://www.nedit.org/>
    - nano, for more editing <http://www.nano-editor.org/>
    - tcsh, for file management <http://www.tcsh.org/>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Feb 28, 2006
  6. xyZed

    Bob Guest

    Alan Cole wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > xyZed <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've realised a link checker is pretty essential, but are there other
    >> essential tools for maintaining a html web site? Also, I would be very
    >> grateful if I could be recommended an industry standard or accepted
    >> link checker. There are a ridiculous amount available from freeware to
    >> "professional" and I can't trust the sites own spiel.

    > I'd say the only ESSENTIAL tools are:
    >
    > A text editor to build the pages,
    > A ftp program to upload the pages,
    > A web browser to test the pages,
    >
    > Other nearly essential tools for me are:
    > A graphics editor to build and optimise graphical elements
    > Lots more web-browsers to fully test the pages
    >
    > There are then numerous useful online tools that are nice but by no
    > means essential such as:
    > Link checkers (can't say I've really used these)
    > HTML validators
    > CSS validators
    > Accessibility testers
    > and so on.
    >
    > Probably my favourite development tool that is non-essential (although I
    > couldn't live without it now) is the web-developer plug-in for Firefox
    > which contains all of the above non-essential tools and much much more.
    >
    > Al.

    Is that an extension? If so, url?
    Bob, Mar 1, 2006
  7. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    There is circumstantial evidence that on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:20:22
    +0000, Alan Cole <> wrote

    >› I'd say the only ESSENTIAL tools are:

    I should have added that I make my living from the site, so I assume
    this makes some difference. Thanks for the replies so far ..

    xyZed, Mar 1, 2006
  8. xyZed

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <>,
    xyZed <> wrote:

    > There is circumstantial evidence that on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:20:22
    > +0000, Alan Cole <> wrote
    >

    > >› I'd say the only ESSENTIAL tools are:

    > I should have added that I make my living from the site, so I assume
    > this makes some difference. Thanks for the replies so far ..

    None whatsoever

    Al.

    Alan Cole, Mar 1, 2006
  9. xyZed

    xyZed Guest

    There is circumstantial evidence that on Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:19:36
    +0000, Alan Cole <> wrote

    >› None whatsoever

    I think I know what you mean, and fundamentally I probably agree, but
    to me, broken links in a site you rely on for your only source of
    income cost money and they need automated checking, especially
    affiliate links . Broken links on my personal site where I have my
    reviews, poems etc are not critical at all and merely inconvenient.

    I don't monitor where traffic is coming from on my personal site
    either because it's just my home site, which I hope some people will
    find and enjoy but if no one ever visited it I would be merely
    disappointed and not financially ruined.

    Monitoring what visitors do, where they came from, how long they stay
    etc on my home site would be purely out of interest on my home site
    but on a business site it's critical information to be acted on.
    Position on search engines etc, again is purely academic unless it's a
    business (unless you are taking your personal non profit site pretty
    seriously - which is fair enough)

    I don't mean to imply that some people don't take their sites
    extremely seriously unless they make money but I can't see how a
    business site needs no more tools than a hobbyist site.

    Can a link checker check javascript affiliate links btw? And can it
    also inform if the page linked to has changed? I keep finding that
    even affiliate links suddenly stop working because some idiot has
    moved the page I linked to.

    xyZed, Mar 1, 2006
  10. xyZed

    Alan Cole Guest

    In article <>,
    xyZed <> wrote:

    > There is circumstantial evidence that on Wed, 01 Mar 2006 08:19:36
    > +0000, Alan Cole <> wrote
    >

    > >› None whatsoever

    > I think I know what you mean, and fundamentally I probably agree, but
    > to me, broken links in a site you rely on for your only source of
    > income cost money and they need automated checking, especially
    > affiliate links . Broken links on my personal site where I have my
    > reviews, poems etc are not critical at all and merely inconvenient.
    >
    > I don't monitor where traffic is coming from on my personal site
    > either because it's just my home site, which I hope some people will
    > find and enjoy but if no one ever visited it I would be merely
    > disappointed and not financially ruined.
    >
    > Monitoring what visitors do, where they came from, how long they stay
    > etc on my home site would be purely out of interest on my home site
    > but on a business site it's critical information to be acted on.
    > Position on search engines etc, again is purely academic unless it's a
    > business (unless you are taking your personal non profit site pretty
    > seriously - which is fair enough)
    >
    > I don't mean to imply that some people don't take their sites
    > extremely seriously unless they make money but I can't see how a
    > business site needs no more tools than a hobbyist site.
    >
    > Can a link checker check javascript affiliate links btw? And can it
    > also inform if the page linked to has changed? I keep finding that
    > even affiliate links suddenly stop working because some idiot has
    > moved the page I linked to.

    If it is that important to you (and I can understand why such a thing
    would be) then the only surefire way to make sure that your links are
    actually pointing to what you intend them to point to is to check them
    manually yourself... I'm sure there is an application that will monitor
    outbound links for you and tell you if the page they link to has been
    modified, but it will be up to you to manually check if the
    modifications should result in you removing the link from your site or
    not.

    I may have been a little pedantic, but a link-checker isn't an
    'Essential Tool' for maintaining a website (however critical the site)..
    That doesn't of course mean that it might not be a very important tool
    for you.

    Al.

    Alan Cole, Mar 1, 2006
  11. xyZed

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Alan Cole wrote:

    > I'd say the only ESSENTIAL tools are:
    >
    > A text editor to build the pages,
    > A ftp program to upload the pages,
    > A web browser to test the pages,

    I haven't used an FTP program in *ages*.

    Certainly not essential.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Mar 1, 2006