    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

    Jim Scott, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Jim Scott wrote:
    > How do I know which doctype to use?
    > I use HTML 4.01 Transitional - dunno why - it just sort of happened.
    > Is it right or wrong and how would I know?
    > I have looked at various sites inc. W3C, but they don't make it clearer to
    > me.

    Look at your code, check the specs, especially what is deprecated and
    obsolete

    http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/changes.html#h-A.3.1.2

    If your do not have a real reason to do otherwise make your code HTML
    4.01 strict, validate it to flag and fix errors.

    http://validator.w3.org/

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Jim Scott

    jb Guest

    > How do I know which doctype to use?
    > I use HTML 4.01 Transitional - dunno why - it just sort of happened.
    > Is it right or wrong and how would I know?
    > I have looked at various sites inc. W3C, but they don't make it clearer to
    > me.

    If you want to look good, use a more recent doctype.

    jb, Sep 9, 2005
  4. Jim Scott

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jim Scott wrote:

    > Which doctype do I use?
    > I use HTML 4.01 Transitional

    You answered your own question!

    Which doctype should you use? That's a matter for debate. HTML 4.0 Strict,
    HTML 4.01 Strict, XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1 and ISO/IEC 15445:2000(E)
    are five good answers.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:10:36 +0100, Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Jim Scott wrote:
    >
    >> Which doctype do I use?
    >> I use HTML 4.01 Transitional

    > You answered your own question!
    >
    > Which doctype should you use? That's a matter for debate. HTML 4.0 Strict,
    > HTML 4.01 Strict, XHTML 1.0 Strict, XHTML 1.1 and ISO/IEC 15445:2000(E)
    > are five good answers.

    Ha!
    Alright, the question should have been "which do you advise me to use".
    Your answer seems to be any one which is 'strict' rather than not.
    --
    Jim
    Tyneside UK

    Jim Scott, Sep 10, 2005
  6. On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, jb wrote:

    > If you want to look good, use a more recent doctype.

    XHTML/1.0 Transitional is "more recent" than HTML/4.01 Strict, but,
    far from making someone look "good", some of us think it makes them
    look silly.

    XHTML/1.0 Transitional could be regarded as a proof of concept by the W3C.
    Whether "they" (the collective "they") ever expected anyone to seriously
    use it for authoring, is, I'd suggest, an open question.

    Alan J. Flavell, Sep 10, 2005