which gui toolkit

Joao Pedrosa

Hi,

Sorry if this question comes up often,
Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?

I use Ruby-GTK+ because it is supported on Linux and on Windows. I
have some wrappers around it to make it even easier (in other words,
I've created a "domain specific language" for GTK+ using Ruby.)

GTK+ is getting greater with the time. It's good enough for my own
tools. But I haven't tested it with real users yet. :)

It has some good widgetsin comparison with other toolkits. But the
other toolkits are improving as well, and maybe with the right task or
knowledge can be much better than GTK+.

GTK+ is more or less free for comercial use, too.

Cheers,
Joao

Bauduin Raphael

Gandhi said:
Sorry if this question comes up often,
Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?

I'm developing on Linux and targetting it and other Free unixes, and my
development is under GPL. I enjoy using Qt and KDE bindings. It's making
development really easy.

For example, in the next logtails version, there'll be highlighting of
patterns in the logs displayed. Coding that highlighting feature was
done in 5 minutes, and I had never done it before. Qt is very clean and
well documented.

I also like the KDE infrastructure put in place. You get a lot of things
for nearly no code: config files, user customisable task bars and ui,
network transparency, DCOP, KParts, .... KDE documentation is not as
good as the Qt one though.

Two things to keep in mind when looking at Qt: the licensing of Qt, and
the fact that Trolltech seems to be very focused on C++ and not a lot on
bindings for languages as Ruby.

Raph

Gandhi

Yes, I belive Qt (and GTK) are pretty advanced stuff in Unix world.
However seeing that users of my app will be mostly windows folk I'm
looking for something closer to windows look and feel.
So between FLTK, FOX, wx (are there any other options?) which one would
you recommend?

Joao Pedrosa

Hi,

Yes, I belive Qt (and GTK) are pretty advanced stuff in Unix world.
However seeing that users of my app will be mostly windows folk I'm
looking for something closer to windows look and feel.
So between FLTK, FOX, wx (are there any other options?) which one would
you recommend?

Maybe you could give wxRuby a try. If you are used to Windows
programming, then you might feel comfortable with it. Another plus is
that wxRuby is native Windows.

Fox is good but is not native anywhere. :)

I don't have an opinion about FLTK. :)

Cheers,
Joao

Jeremy Tregunna

Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?

Myself I use Ruby/Cocoa primarily due to the fact I know the API
(having been writing ObjC code on OPENSTEP/Cocoa and GNUstep for many
years), plus the fact it's simple and easy to use.

Nick

On Win32, wxruby works well. The widgets are native, and the API is
pretty stable at this point. The wxruby team is working on using wxMac
2.5 on OS X to improve it's Mac functionality.

Nick

Alexander Kellett

Yes, I belive Qt (and GTK) are pretty advanced stuff in Unix world.
However seeing that users of my app will be mostly windows folk I'm
looking for something closer to windows look and feel.
So between FLTK, FOX, wx (are there any other options?) which one would
you recommend?

Qt. it has excellent look and feel on windows,
and is much more complete / easy to use than
the others listed.

unfortunately. you'll have to pay for it :)
which is really the problem i guess?

Alex

benny

Bauduin said:
I'm developing on Linux and targetting it and other Free unixes, and my
development is under GPL. I enjoy using Qt and KDE bindings. It's making
development really easy.

Did anyone manage to install the kde / ruby bindings on FreeBSD?
I would like to use them, but unfortunately.....

benny

Alexander Kellett

Did anyone manage to install the kde / ruby bindings on FreeBSD?
I would like to use them, but unfortunately.....

whats the problem?
got a backtrace or configure log?
if you can get me ssh access to a machine i'll give it a shot...
Alex

benny

Alexander said:
whats the problem?
got a backtrace or configure log?
if you can get me ssh access to a machine i'll give it a shot...
Alex
well, I need to install korundum first, right?

so downloaded korundum3.3.1 contains no config file.
INSTALL says

»The file `configure.in' is used to create `configure' by a program
called `autoconf'. You only need `configure.in' if you want to change
it or regenerate `configure' using a newer version of `autoconf'.«

there is no file'configure.in' but 'configure.in.in'
autoconf 'configure.in.in'

says:

configure.in.in:51: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
configure.in.in:48: KDE_CHECK_MDI is expanded from...
configure.in.in:51: the top level
autom4te259: /usr/local/bin/gm4 failed with exit status: 1

(its autoconf 2.59)

autoconf 2.53 doesnt work either (FreeBSD 5.3)

thank you for yur help,

benny

Alexander Kellett

well, I need to install korundum first, right?
so downloaded korundum3.3.1 contains no config file.
INSTALL says

i assume you mean ./configure file?
the readme says run 'make -f Makefile.cvs'
umm... maybe this is not well positioned,
iirc this README is in qtruby/ rather than
in root... guess this should be changed :)

Alex

Richard Dale

Alexander said:
i assume you mean ./configure file?
the readme says run 'make -f Makefile.cvs'
umm... maybe this is not well positioned,
iirc this README is in qtruby/ rather than
in root... guess this should be changed :)
I think I copied kdebindings/qtruby/README.build to kdebindings/INSTALL in
the qtruby tar ball on RubyForge, but maybe I forgot to do it for the
korundum one. What is the recommended KDE way of generating a configure
file that we can include with the release, or do you always have to use a
'make -f Makefile.cvs' command and generate it from configure.in.in?

-- Richard

benny

Alexander said:
i assume you mean ./configure file?
the readme says run 'make -f Makefile.cvs'
umm... maybe this is not well positioned,
iirc this README is in qtruby/ rather than
in root... guess this should be changed :)

Alex
yes you are right, I meant ./configure

ok, I had to make symlinks in
/usr/local/bin/ in order to make it run:

ln -s aclocal19 aclocal
ln -s autom4te259 autom4te
ln -s automake19 automake

now it complies :)

benny

Alexander Kellett

think I copied kdebindings/qtruby/README.build to kdebindings/INSTALL
in
the qtruby tar ball on RubyForge, but maybe I forgot to do it for the
korundum one. What is the recommended KDE way of generating a configure
file that we can include with the release, or do you always have to
use a
'make -f Makefile.cvs' command and generate it from configure.in.in?

just pushing everyone to always type 'make -f Makefile.cvs'
seems to be faultless. sure it takes a little longer, but it
decreases the size of the distribution, and way more important,
i've seen all sorts of wierd problems caused by not doing so
locally. (though admittedly just in general never with kde)

Alex

David Ross

Gandhi said:
Sorry if this question comes up often,
Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?
WideStudio, English page located at
http://www.widestudio.org/EE/index.html

1. The toolkit has _supported_ bindings to C/C++, Ruby, Perl and Python.
2. There is a free IDE with DND support.
3. WideStudio works on many platforms: Windows, BSD, Linux, MacOS X, and
more.
4. Great documentation and reference guide
5. MIT/X license, free for closed source projects :)
6. The creators are nice, and so are the WideStudio community(the
Japanese ML at least. I never use the English list)
7. Supports GCC, BCC, VC++, and many more unix compilers
8. You choose your favorite editor to write code

See: http://www.widestudio.org/EE/spec2.html

David Ross
--
Want to see others who are interested in Ruby?
See more Info at [ Website: http://www.rubymine.org/?q=IRC ]

Hazzle free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from [ Website: http://www.rubyarchive.org/ ]

DaZoner

I have an app I distribute under Windows and I found FxRuby/FOX to be a good
choice. Development time was short, the UI works well, and the toolkit is
included with the one click installer so I don't have to direct users to
install anything other than Ruby.