    programming book.

    Any [good] suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mark Day, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Mark Day

    Uri Guttman Guest

    MD> Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
    MD> I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
    MD> programming book.

    advanced perl (very out of date) covers many topics and not enough depth
    in some. damian's OOP is the bible for OOP so get it. you won't regret
    it.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Mark Day

    Mark Day Guest

    Uri Guttman wrote:

    > MD> Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
    > MD> I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
    > MD> programming book.
    >
    > advanced perl (very out of date) covers many topics and not enough depth
    > in some. damian's OOP is the bible for OOP so get it. you won't regret
    > it.

    Yes those are the two i have short listed, but if you had to pick one,
    which of those two is the best introduction and tutorial?

    Thanks.

    Mark Day, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Also sprach Uri Guttman:

    > MD> Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
    > MD> I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
    > MD> programming book.
    >
    > advanced perl (very out of date) covers many topics and not enough depth
    > in some. damian's OOP is the bible for OOP so get it. you won't regret
    > it.

    However, it's no less outdated than advanced Perl as it only covers
    5.005_03. Other than that, I think it's too exhaustive if someone just
    wants to learn the OO principles in Perl. Therefore I'd say that
    Randal's "Learning Perl Objects, References & Objects" is the better
    pick.

    Tassilo

    Tassilo v. Parseval, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Mark Day

    Mark Day Guest

    Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
    > Also sprach Uri Guttman:

    >> MD> Looking for thoughts on which is the best book for learning OO perl?
    >> MD> I'm thinking either the Damian Conway book, or the advanced perl
    >> MD> programming book.
    >>
    >>advanced perl (very out of date) covers many topics and not enough depth
    >>in some. damian's OOP is the bible for OOP so get it. you won't regret
    >>it.

    > However, it's no less outdated than advanced Perl as it only covers
    > 5.005_03. Other than that, I think it's too exhaustive if someone just
    > wants to learn the OO principles in Perl. Therefore I'd say that
    > Randal's "Learning Perl Objects, References & Objects" is the better
    > pick.

    I'll have a look at Randal's book, do you think the advanced perl book
    is simply too outdated to be still relevant? Or is it too much to digest
    in one go without a basic introduction to the general principles.
    Does Randal's book contain a turotial? Which of these three would be
    considered the most comprehensive tutorial?

    Thanks

    Mark Day, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Mark Day

    Uri Guttman Guest

    MD> I'll have a look at Randal's book, do you think the advanced perl
    MD> book is simply too outdated to be still relevant? Or is it too
    MD> much to digest in one go without a basic introduction to the
    MD> general principles. Does Randal's book contain a turotial? Which
    MD> of these three would be considered the most comprehensive
    MD> tutorial?

    randal's book covers more than just OOP and in a more tutorial
    style. damian's covers only OOP and in extreme depth and it can be read
    by anyone who knows a average amount of perl (i.e. knows refs, hashes,
    and related stuff). i wouldn't recommend APP much anymore but it still
    has stuff other people like.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Mark Day

    Mark Day Guest

    Uri Guttman wrote:

    > MD> I'll have a look at Randal's book, do you think the advanced perl
    > MD> book is simply too outdated to be still relevant? Or is it too
    > MD> much to digest in one go without a basic introduction to the
    > MD> general principles. Does Randal's book contain a turotial? Which
    > MD> of these three would be considered the most comprehensive
    > MD> tutorial?
    >
    > randal's book covers more than just OOP and in a more tutorial
    > style. damian's covers only OOP and in extreme depth and it can be read
    > by anyone who knows a average amount of perl (i.e. knows refs, hashes,
    > and related stuff). i wouldn't recommend APP much anymore but it still
    > has stuff other people like.

    OK, probably will read Randal's book and if i can get through that I'll
    try Damin Conway's. Not sure I follow how APP has become so outmoded,
    but I'll take your word for it, it is 7 years old.

    Thanks.

    Mark Day, Oct 26, 2004
  8. Mark Day

    Uri Guttman Guest

    MD> OK, probably will read Randal's book and if i can get through that
    MD> I'll try Damin Conway's. Not sure I follow how APP has become so
    MD> outmoded, but I'll take your word for it, it is 7 years old.

    maybe it is just my take on it. there is an update in the works but by a
    different author from what i hear.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Oct 26, 2004
  9. >>>>> "MD" == Mark Day <> writes:

    MD> Not sure I follow how APP has become so outmoded, but I'll
    MD> take your word for it, it is 7 years old.

    It brings up a lot of interesting problems -- such as object
    persistence. And then it proceeds to solve them, commenting on the
    tradeoffs of various modules as they existed 7 years ago. The
    problems are still relevant, and the general techniques of solving
    them are still relevant, but the specific commentary is out of date.

    If you had it on the shelf or were given it free, it would be a
    worthwhile read, and it was interesting and useful in its day It's far
    from the best book on the topic.

    (It would also probably have been better called _Topics in Perl_
    rather than _Advanced Perl Programming_, but that's a separate issue.)

    Charlton

    --
    cwilbur at chromatico dot net
    cwilbur at mac dot com

    Charlton Wilbur, Oct 26, 2004
  10. Mark Day <> wrote:
    > Tassilo v. Parseval wrote:
    >> Also sprach Uri Guttman:

    >> Therefore I'd say that
    >> Randal's "Learning Perl Objects, References & Objects" is the better
    >> pick.

    > Does Randal's book contain a turotial?

    Randal's entire book *is* a tutorial.

    (and for a brief peek at some of what's in there, type "perldoc perlboot")

    > Which of these three would be
    > considered the most comprehensive tutorial?

    Only Randal's because it is the only one in that set that even
    is a tutorial. The others are more reference than tutorial in style.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Oct 26, 2004