    According to you, Which is the best C++ compiler for windows ?
    Which compiler is least buggy and generate Optimized code ?

    , Mar 8, 2005

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > According to you, Which is the best C++ compiler for windows ?
    > Which compiler is least buggy and generate Optimized code ?

    It depends...
    Microsoft's MSVC >7.0 is pretty standards compliant, it
    is fast, and generates nicely optimized code. Also, it is
    in widespread use (although many still use version 6.x...).
    And you can get it for free...

    Intel's compiler is very good in terms of language compliance
    and often generates the fastest code. However, it is not free,
    and is relatively slower.

    GCC/MingW is open source. Generates well optimized code,
    has quite good standards compliance. It can also be
    quite convenient when writing/porting cross-platform
    code.

    Borland's C++ comes with its own extensions, and integrates
    with other Borland tools (Delphi, ...). Also available
    on Linux...

    Metrowerks' C++ compiler supports a large number of platforms,
    also offers a nice environment; also is fast and generates
    efficient code...

    There's also Comeau, wich might still be the most
    standard-compliant C++ compiler, also available on
    a very large number of platforms.

    Then there is Digital Mars, and probably others that I
    just can't think of right now...

    So what exactly are you looking for in your compiler?

    Ivan

    Ivan Vecerina, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Ivan Vecerina wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>According to you, Which is the best C++ compiler for windows ?
    >>Which compiler is least buggy and generate Optimized code ?

    > It depends...
    > Microsoft's MSVC >7.0 is pretty standards compliant, it
    > is fast, and generates nicely optimized code. Also, it is
    > in widespread use (although many still use version 6.x...).
    > And you can get it for free...

    To alleviate any possible confusion, it's the compiler that is free,
    not the development environment. And it's the development environment
    that is in widespread use (along with the compiler).

    > Intel's compiler is very good in terms of language compliance
    > and often generates the fastest code. However, it is not free,
    > and is relatively slower.

    Has no environment. Integrates with MSVC's one.

    > GCC/MingW is open source. Generates well optimized code,
    > has quite good standards compliance. It can also be
    > quite convenient when writing/porting cross-platform
    > code.

    You're making it sound that others aren't. What you ought to say is
    that is has quite a few extensions often used in Linux/Un*x code. The
    extensions on Windows are, of course, the same with MinGW.

    > Borland's C++ comes with its own extensions, and integrates
    > with other Borland tools (Delphi, ...). Also available
    > on Linux...

    And it's not cheap there, IIRC.

    > Metrowerks' C++ compiler supports a large number of platforms,
    > also offers a nice environment; also is fast and generates
    > efficient code...

    Last time I looked it was behind everybody in Standard compliance.

    > There's also Comeau, wich might still be the most
    > standard-compliant C++ compiler, also available on
    > a very large number of platforms.

    Unfortunately, it requires a C compiler to get the final result. It's
    essentially a front end. Not that it's a bad thing...

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Greg Comeau Guest

    In article <33rXd.51336$01.us.to.verio.net>,
    Victor Bazarov <> wrote:
    >Ivan Vecerina wrote:
    >> There's also Comeau, wich might still be the most
    >> standard-compliant C++ compiler, also available on
    >> a very large number of platforms.

    >Unfortunately, it requires a C compiler to get the final result. It's
    >essentially a front end. Not that it's a bad thing...

    Therefore not unfortunate :) as most customers will either have
    the required C compiler already (say with Comeau C++ for LINUX)
    can download most supported compilers for free (Borland,
    Digital Mars, lcc, MinGW, etc) and/or add others that are
    supported, can be brought to market quicker and in
    multi-platform versions, customized by Comeau for embedded
    systems and proprietary uses, etc. all while being able to
    be compliant, many modes, etc.
    --
    Greg Comeau / Comeau for the Mac? Stay tuned.

    Greg Comeau, Mar 9, 2005
  5. "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > Ivan Vecerina wrote:
    >> Borland's C++ comes with its own extensions, and integrates
    >> with other Borland tools (Delphi, ...). Also available
    >> on Linux...

    > And it's not cheap there, IIRC.

    Actually free: http://www.borland.com/kylix/open/index.html

    For a list of compilers one could also check:
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

    Anyway, the real point is that the best compier depends on the
    type of development you are doing.
    If you live in a Microsoft-only world, you may probably just
    stick with their tools/compiler(s), especially as you can get
    various versions of it for free.

    With an extra budget and extreme need for performance,
    the intel C++ compiler could be explored as an addition.

    But if standard C++ or portability to some other platforms
    is in the picture, using another compiler - and even routinely
    making builds with more than one compiler - should be considered.

    Ivan Vecerina, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Mike Smith Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > Ivan Vecerina wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> According to you, Which is the best C++ compiler for windows ?
    >>> Which compiler is least buggy and generate Optimized code ?

    >> It depends...
    >> Microsoft's MSVC >7.0 is pretty standards compliant, it
    >> is fast, and generates nicely optimized code. Also, it is
    >> in widespread use (although many still use version 6.x...).
    >> And you can get it for free...

    > To alleviate any possible confusion, it's the compiler that is free,
    > not the development environment. And it's the development environment
    > that is in widespread use (along with the compiler).

    True, although it is my understanding (haven't got around to trying it)
    that it is possible to get the free 2003 compiler to work with the
    (currently free) Visual Studio 2005 Express IDE for C++.

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Mike Smith wrote:
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >
    >> Ivan Vecerina wrote:
    >>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> It depends...
    >>> Microsoft's MSVC >7.0 is pretty standards compliant, it
    >>> is fast, and generates nicely optimized code. Also, it is
    >>> in widespread use (although many still use version 6.x...).
    >>> And you can get it for free...

    >> To alleviate any possible confusion, it's the compiler that is free,
    >> not the development environment. And it's the development environment
    >> that is in widespread use (along with the compiler).

    > True, although it is my understanding (haven't got around to trying it)
    > that it is possible to get the free 2003 compiler to work with the
    > (currently free) Visual Studio 2005 Express IDE for C++.

    It's probably possible. It also must be possible to make it work with
    other products like Dev-C++ or emacs or any other editor that supports
    and provides compiler invocation. I'm yet to meet anybody who would do
    that. Professionally.

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 9, 2005
  8. Mike Smith Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > Mike Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> True, although it is my understanding (haven't got around to trying
    >> it) that it is possible to get the free 2003 compiler to work with the
    >> (currently free) Visual Studio 2005 Express IDE for C++.

    > It's probably possible. It also must be possible to make it work with
    > other products like Dev-C++ or emacs or any other editor that supports
    > and provides compiler invocation. I'm yet to meet anybody who would do
    > that. Professionally.

    "who would do that"? You make it sound like a crime. Granted, I
    wouldn't try to build production code that way, but maybe the OP's not
    interested in that.

    --
    Mike Smith

    Mike Smith, Mar 11, 2005
  9. "Mike Smith" <> wrote in message
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    >
    >> Mike Smith wrote:
    >>>
    >>> True, although it is my understanding (haven't got around to trying it)
    >>> that it is possible to get the free 2003 compiler to work with the
    >>> (currently free) Visual Studio 2005 Express IDE for C++.

    >> It's probably possible. It also must be possible to make it work with

    It's definately possible.
    The problem is this, they both try to write config info to the Registry, So
    they do not act Dissimilar.

    However, I think you'd do better either neglecting the Beta, or jumping
    straight to the Release.

    DHOLLINGSWORTH2, Mar 12, 2005
  10. namundsen

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hollingsworth!? Could it be true?

    To further this discussion, what would be an all in one software like eclipse is for java for c++? The area of work would be limited to windows environment running on win7 os.

    namundsen, Oct 5, 2009