Which .NET do I really need?

Papachungo13

I have the .NET Framework installed on my system - versions 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0,
along with their service packs and hot fixes.

Do I need them all? Does .NET 3.0 supersede 2.0 and 1.1, or are they all
independent? I was thinking that maybe it (should) work like Directx where
the higher version replaces the lower one.

Please advise.

Shane.

Thomas Scheidegger

I have the .NET Framework installed on my system - versions 1.1, 2.0
and 3.0,
> along with their service packs and hot fixes.
> Do I need them all? Does .NET 3.0 supersede 2.0 and 1.1, or are they
all independent?

Only .NET 1.1 was independent, but there could still be some
tools/applications needing it.
..NET 3.0 and 3.5 build on the 2.0 base and all are strongly recommended.
(2.0+3.0 are built-in Windows Vista)

..NET 3.5 Web Setup
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&displaylang=en

..NET 3.5 full package (200MB, for 32&64-Bit)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

Papachungo13

So that I am clear on this...

I can uninstall 2.0 and keep 3.0 or 3.5 and possibly keep 1.1?

Shane.

Thomas Scheidegger

I can uninstall 2.0 and keep 3.0 or 3.5

NO! uninstalling 2.0 will break 3.0/3.5.

> and possibly keep 1.1?

I strongly recommend to keep ALL installed .NET versions,
and also install the latest version (3.5, it includes important Service
Packs for 2.0&3.0).

Evert

When you install 3.5, 2.0 and 3.0 are automatically installed. 3.0 and 3.5
run both on the 2.0 CLR. 1.1 runs on the 1.1 CLR.

Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
It is good practice to keep all of them. Lets say you download some code, and need to configure the virtual directory a special way. Then you can pick the framework. Same way if you have Visual Studio 2002, 2003, or 2005. Each one runs with specific frameworks. IT WOULD BE ADVISABLE TO KEEP ALL.